Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MoD Database of/Number of remaining WW1 Service Records

Justinth

Of interest to members who want to see the earlier release of the remaining WW1 service records:

Summary

1) MOD has a computer database of all its old service files, merely lacking the regiment/unit for the men named, although it does have the service number (e.g. of potentially great use (internet friendly) if perhaps released with a mind to data protection of those born less than 100 years ago).

2) The numbers of files potentially involved if more reasonable transfer procedures to National Archives were adopted can be seen below (I was informed last year that files with those of a D.O.B. (Date of Birth) after 1895 would not be transferred until at least 116 years after D.O.B. There are costs involved here that might be difficult for either MOD or TNA to deal with.

The information below came from the MoD:

20140806-Army_Enquiry AF

'1. Army service files in the MOD main archive not yet transferred to TNA are indexed by service number, surname, initials and date of birth.

2. The TNA series number (e.g. WO 363) is allocated at the point of transfer to TNA, and thus for those files yet to be transferred to TNA has yet to be determined.’

Response to request for clarification

‘1) Is the index to Army service files held on computer or in paper format or is it a combination of both computer and paper records?

computer.

3) If a computerised index system exists, is it a database searchable by each of the information fields…?

Yes.

Answer to subsequent Freedom of Information request – no number allocated

‘1) What is the number of service personnel files recorded on the database and retained by MOD with a birth date before 1901?

POST WW1 but included for interest:

2) What is the number of service personnel files recorded on the database and retained by MOD with a birth date before 1916?

3) What is the number of service personnel files recorded on the database and retained by MOD with a birth date before 1928?

Please note that these numbers are incremental i.e. the answer to your Q3 includes the numbers given at Q2 and Q1.’

Regards

Justin

Very interesting Justin, I have pre war papers for one relative which are totally unmarked by the Blitz and often wondered if his wartime may have been stored elsewhere, I shall wait and see what becomes of the above information

Jon

Have I totally misunderstood this, or are there more WW1 SERVICE records coming available in addition to the "burnt" records?

Hazel C.

No Hazel, they do exist and relate primarily to those whose service continued post war. When they will will be available depends on what action is taken before the 116 year date referred to above is reached , and how it is then funded/delivered. If the transfer and digitisation are not commenced until the date is reached, then a further delay will obviously be caused before the records become available.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Looks like it may not help anyway if it is largely those who served post war.

Hazel C.

But it also includes all those who remained in service after the 1920 cut off date - mostly I assume becoming regulars, so there will be quite a number of interest to many of us.

Keith

So those with war service who stayed on in the army still have a record. Does those documents include their wartime service, or only the post war stuff?

So those with war service who stayed on in the army still have a record. Does those documents include their wartime service, or only the post war stuff?

Should include all service I believe.

Just checked one possibility with the MOD, whether the records of those born before 1901 and all of the figures included Home Guard members from the Second World War. They are not included in any of the figures as '...Home Guard records are indexed at box level by unit/county/surname range rather than at file level inclusive of date of birth.'

'