Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Thomas Stevenson 2nd Bn Sherwood Foresters.

Peteuk73

As unlikely as this seems I visited the Thiepval Memorial a fortnight ago and took a photo of two names on the memorial which share the same surname as myself.

On returning home, I started to look at my fathers family tree and very quickly realised that the name Stevenson T was in fact my Great grandfathers brother. He was KIA on 16 Sep 16 but that is all I know.

I have started to look for the Battalion dairy on line but can only find snippits. Can anyone help with the location of the 2nd Bn on or around this date or any further information.

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

Welcome to the forum Pete,

the following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme'. I'm sure that those with better knowledge than myself will be along soon and furnish you with more detail

2nd Battalion. 71st Brigade, 6th Division:

Entrained at Proven for Candas (2/8). Arrived (3/8) and marched to billets at Beauval. To Mailly-Maillet Wood (5/8) and from there began tours of duty in trenches west of Beaumont-Hamel. Relieved and to Beauval (29/8). Later via Flesselles, Allonville and Mericourt to Meaulte - arriving (7/9). Moved forward to trenches around Arrow Head Copse (11/9). In action at The Quadrilateral (13/9)-(17/9).

Jon

The relevant page of the war diary is available at: http://www.nmarchive.com/view-diary/dugout-t20b28/1624-1111/396066/page/132, it states, among other things, that "At several periods during the day we were heavily shelled. Especially at daybreak." The diary shows that the Battalion was in a Dugout at T.20.B.2.8., which refers to a reference in the relevant map, which would probably be: http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A69460.

For help figuring out the reference on the Map read: http://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/MapRefNo.htm.

From the 1st Battalion War Diary. BRONNO.

DUGOUT T.20.B.2.8.

15th September 1916.

6.20 a.m. All fairly quiet last night. 1st Leicestershire Regiment passed through the Battalion to attack their 1st objective. The Battalion got into position in attack formation ready to advance and take over positions captured and vacated by 1st Leicestershire's 1 hour and 30 minutes after their 1st advance, in the following order.

'A' Company with remainder of 'D' Company in front line and a Two Platoon in front.

'B' and 'C' Companies each two platoons strong on a one Platoon front in Support.

7.30 am Battalion HQ's moved up to where Battalion were formed up.

7.50 am Battalion advanced 150 yards between Coy's and immediately came under heavy Machine Gun fire from our right front. We had not gone far before we heard the Leicester's were held up by M.G. fire and unable to get on. After an advance of about 500 yards we found the Leicester's about 150 yards in front of us so dug in, in rear of them.

8 am Battalion HQ's moved up to a shell hole immediately in rear of the Battalion.

8.15 am Orders were sent to O.C. 'A' Company to try and get in touch with the 9th Suffolk's on our right. The Battalion dug in in shell holes.

8.28 am C.O. went up to O.C. Leicester's and asked if he required any support from us. No support was required. Both Battalions have suffered heavily, mostly from M.G. fire.

9.30 am A patrol was sent out from 'A' Company to reconnoitre German trench running North from Quadrilateral in front of Leicester's where men in our helmets could be seen on our left front. Patrols reported trench held by the Boche and heavily wired. N.C.O. i/c Patrol killed and 2 men wounded.

1.30 pm Two Platoons of 'A' Company were sent forward to get in touch with the Guards on our left. All efforts to get in touch with 9th Suffolk's on our right were unsuccessful.

5.40 pm Orders were received from Brigade to dig in and remain where we are.

6.20 pm About 200 of the enemy were seen coming over the rise West of Lesboeuf, advancing in a North Westerly direction. We opened fire at 1,400 yards which seemed to be effective, this counter attack was broken up by the Guards on our left. 7 p.m. A large number of the enemy were seen advancing towards the Guards from Lesboeuf.

10 pm The Battalion were heavily shelled during the day at short intervals. Sent a wire to Brigade asking for Major Street and Lt. Mellor to join from Transport.

16th September.

All fairly quiet last night and very cold. At several periods during the day we were heavily shelled especially at day break.

7.17 am Received orders from Brigade for our Battalion to co-operate with the 18th Brigade in an attack timed to take place at 7.30 pm last night. These were cancelled later.

9. p.m. Orders received from Brigade stating that the 1st Bn. West Yorkshire Regt. 18 Infantry Brigade would relieve us tonight,

12 mid night, there being no signs of relief sent a wire to Brigade to that effect.