Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge

Raypalmer

The first two soldiers (Walter and Alfred) are RE, as confirmed by shoulder titles this time. The second two soldiers appear to be ASC from their star shaped badges (could Alfred have transferred?) and the young drummer is indeed in the RAMC, as seen via his cap badge and the emblazon on the side drum.

I also think possibly ASC for Ted in photo 2. If you enlarge the photo I think Alfred is still RE. Badge is a little unclear but still a 2 letter title.

Rgds

Tim D

So we appear to have:

Alfred RE

Walter – RAMC or RE?

Albert CEF

Edwin (Ted) – possibly ASC

Herbert – ??

I think your Walter in posts 23 and 25 might be two different brothers. Is it possible one of them is Herbert?

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-0-05720100-1415164872_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-51061000-1415164939_thumb.jp

Tim, I must confess I'd had a few doubts about that photo. We're now going through other photos to check - my wife is an expert on identifying ears and noses .... !

I'll come back on that tomorrow.

Thanks again

Ray

Not having much luck at all I'm afraid Ray,

I have looked for Papers and Pension records for each of the 7 brothers without finding anything extra. The best bet may well be local papers, but if you do find something they will probably not tell you much other than a Corps or Regiment.

Tim D

Hi Tim.

In a way I'm pleased at least that you've confirmed my own failure to find anything!

Re post #22 - Any thoughts on Alfred being said to be in Caernarvon in 1916? Was it a known base?

And any thoughts on Ted and Herbert seemingly being in Cardiff with mundane occupations in Dec 1916? The evidence from Alfred that Ted was at the Somme earlier that year seems fairly sound. I might wickedly suggest that, as Ted was a grocer, he might have nipped back home to pick up a few extra provisions ;) !

And if Ted was ASC, would his unit have been engaged at the Somme, or would they have just dropped off supplies and left? Sorry .... so many questions!!

The present view is that the other photo is indeed Herbert, but I'll come back on that later.

Thanks

Ray

Note sure,

They may well have been medical downgrades. A lot of men who were not fit enough for front line service with the infantry ended up in the RE, ASC, Labour Corps etc.

Seems odd that the whole family was in service Corps. Quite unusual for that many brothers I would think.

There appears to have been a Territorial Depot at Caernarvon - Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

There were a variety of jobs in the ASC. Infantry battalions had their own infantrymen as transport and quartermaster staff, but just one level up the supply chain the roles were filled by ASC at Brigade and Divisional level. So...whilst not with the frequency of the infantry they certainly came within range of gunfire now and again.

More here from The Long Long Trail:

http://www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm

Rgds

Tim D

• 4 weeks later...

There was an RE camp at Caernarfon (then spelt Carnarvon) known as Coed Helen Camp and situated over the river from the castle. I'm afraid I can't help with what sort of camp it was (i.e training, convalescent etc)

I seem to think that men from it were billeted around the town. What address have you got?

Hywyn

Thanks for that info, Hywyn. All I have is a form dated December 1916 relating to the family (nothing to do with the military or the war) which shows:

Name: Alfred Palmer

Address: Carnarvon (there are no other details)

Employment: On active service

The consensus above seems to be that Alfred was in the RE, and on the basis that Carnarvon isn't / wasn't all that big, Coed Helen seems a good bet.

Thanks for your help.

Ray