The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TFEM, Davidson, D, 1034 Sea/ 265093 6/Sea

bif

Still being a novice at researching, can anyone direct me as how to find info on his TFEM ? Thanks in advance, Bif

Ok found him - Duncan Donaldson - 1084 & 265093. MIC has date of entry France 01.05.15, awarded the Victory and British medals and the 1914/15 Star.

More info. please - where did you get the 6th battalion from (MIC doesn't specify) and also the source for the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (for long service)? I can't see service records at the moment..

Mike

PS we have a Seaforths expert or two here who I'll defer to!

Wasn't the TFEM awarded for long service (12 years, wartime service counting double and bars awarded fir subsequent periods of 12 years.)

Jon

Ok found him - Duncan Donaldson - 1084 & 265093. MIC has date of entry France 01.05.15, awarded the Victory and British medals and the 1914/15 Star.

More info. please - where did you get the 6th battalion from (MIC doesn't specify) and also the source for the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (for long service)? I can't see service records at the moment..

Mike

DoE and six digit number consistent with the 1/6th Bn.

DoE and six digit number consistent with the 1/6th Bn.

I've come across men having both numbers pointing to a particular battalion only to find they were transferred, possibly after the spring of 1917 but I will have a look for him when I can get on my PC.

Ah yes, found him. ... bif, the majority of your visits/contributions to this site seem to hinge around getting forum members to do look-ups on Seaforth medals for you. Are you a collector or a dealer? Look forward to your response.

Well, anyway, the N & P site now have a subscription site of their own with diaries and medal rolls or you could invest in their CDRom. Here is the link to their site:

http://www.nmarchive.com/search-for-a-soldier

Seaforths, One of the problems of being on line is that we don't see or hear each other and miss all the subtle signs and sounds that show intent. It appears from your question above that I've breached some rule of etiquette and you are not amused. Since I've apparently been called out in public I hope the moderator(s) will not intervene and will allow me to answer in public.

I have never been, am not now, nor aspire to be a dealer. I am a collector of many things; toy soldiers, wargame figures, figures to paint, prints, postcards, American Civil war muster rolls, books of all subjects( I have signed Doug Adams, P.D.James, & even Colin Dexter) old Hollywood publicity photos, and , Yes, military medals. I collected medals from 1985 to 1988 during a period when I had a large disposable income due to unlimted work time and not yet being married. Friends had converted me from Napoleon to Victoria to the NW Frontier. I went from Gurkhas and Pathans thru Nicholson and Abbott into the 1st Afghan war and eventually to the 2nd. There I found a highland regiment I'd never heard of before, the Seaforth. I became an admirer. In my books are copies of MacVeigh's " Historical Records of the 78th" and "The Betting Book of the 78th Seaforth Highlanders" as well as "The Mess Records of the 72nd". There are photo's, postcards, swagger sticks, crossbelt plates, buttons, and medals. I currently am caretaker for 15 single and 30 groups from Persia to the 1st Gulf war.

I became so "Seaforth" that for my wedding I bought McKenzie ties from which one of my wife's bridesmaid, (who is a seamstress), made bowties and cumberbunds for my groomsmen. My son Is named Ian. I toast every hogmanay with Glenfiddich .

As for your offer of the link, thank you, but I subscribe to Ancestry. The only help I'm asking for is for what I can't find or don't know where to look. I am not asking anyone to do my work. What you have by heritage I am trying to share thru my admiration for these men. So please help me and be a teacher and not suspicious of my questions, actions, or motives.

with respect and apoligies for any unintended offense, Bif, (aka John, to family and friends)

Thank you for your comprehensive response. Many collectors use the forum to research their medals. However, dealers also use the forum and there is a difference between someone researching for their collection and someone milking a forum for information for information so that they can increase the value for onward sale - and they don't give a fig for the man behind the medal.

Some ?dealers? have posted frequently, over a period of time, on a large number of men with a huge varienty of different names. Some even try to pass them off as family members. Most collectors tend to post more openly, that they are collectors and on their acquisitions and being more active as forum members on their research.

The tone of your posts could be seen as those of a dealer rather than collector. Therefore suspicion is a perception of your posts, particularly as one of the service numbers you used was incorrect (presumably a typo error). Just after I posted the link to N&MP it was posted that Ancestry now cover medal rolls. As you subscribe to Ancestry, you won't need another subscription. The battalion War Diaries are available for download from the TNA website for just over £3.00. They are also accessible via the N&MP link; you don't have to take out a subscription with them, you can just buy credits, from what I've seen, their credit purchases seem very reasonable. There are also many books, as you collect those too, that you could utilise in your research. You might try posting in the 'books' area to get a suggestion of those from forum members, not just old books, there are some very good books published in more recent years.

To quote loosely from one of your own previous comments elsewhere ' the fun is in the chase n'est pas?'

Seaforth, Thanks for your reply. I still feel a hesitancey in your comments. Unlike many I am not on line at home. In fact I'm answering you in the middle of my 30 min lunch from work. Most of my posts are from that time or at very end of day. I try to get to my public library on the weekends but can't always. I pay for my ancestry subscription by not eating lunch one day a week. Do you think it's the manner of my questions ? I'm a little perplexted as I am currently registered on the British Medals as well as the Napoleonic and Victorian forums and haven't disturbed anyone else. Please let me know what can be done to allay your concerns. Respectfully,again Bif