Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1st Highland (Fife)Heavy Battery RGA

EastSurrey

I have been trying to help a colleague with a relative (Corporal Alfred Fox) who dow 28.3.18 attached to this unit, from 1/1st Kent Heavy Battery RGA. As far as I can see from TNA, the war diary for the Highland unit does not run after 1917 and the surviving one for the Kent battery starts in spring 1918! I spent some time at TNA, trying to find more. I believe 1/1st Highland served in 83rd Heavy Artillery Brigade, but that unit's war diary was unavailable, possibly because of digitisation. Can anyone help with the whereabouts, or more of the Highland Battery in March 1918, please?

Michael

Michael,

I cannot help with where they were (I do not have the diary), but notice that it should be released on the 19th December when I assume it will be available on line.

Cpl. Fox was not the only Kent RGA TF man who served with the 1/1st Highland Heavy Battery. 742/317335 Bert Quinnell did and it is possible that they may have been posted at the same time; 7th May 1917. His records have survived. Two other members also DOWs on the 28th March, and 108748 George Amos Harris's records should be seen if your friend would like to see the telegram informing the War Office of his and Cpl. Fox's deaths (last page). Both were at 57 CCS.

Kevin

Thank you, very much, Kevin, That's most helpful. I'll look up the records you suggest and wait to see the brigade war diary. It sounds as if the Highland battery's war diary is also worth a look by me.

Michael