Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please Durham Light Infantry

Garygaryd

Can anybody shed any light or more information on the following 3 brothers ?

Charles Howarth 1895 - 1918 he lost his life fighting on 29th March 1918 in France. I am unable to find out any other information.

Harry Howarth - 1893 - 1947. I am unable to find him in any military records.

Archibald Howarth 1898 - 1971 I am unable to find him in any military records.

The name Howarth is some times spelt Howorth. There parents were John William Howarth and Elizabeth Wear.

250320 PTE Charles Howarth. Formerly 3098. 1/6 Durham Light Infantry. Also served 1/5th Bn. Embarked in France 20 Aug 15. Awarded 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. KIA 29 Mar 18. No known grave. Commemorated Pozieres Memorial.

There are 7 x men named Harry Howarth that served with DLI. Do you have any other information?

No men named Archibald Howarth appear to have been awarded medals, so no active service for any men of this name. There is an Archie Howarth, but different father listed.

Rgds

Tim D

Found him. Able Seaman Z/5793 Harry Howarth served with the Royal Naval Division.

Appears to have first served Gallipoli with the Drake Battalion from 10 Jan 16 and later Western Front from 20 May 16. Appears he joined the Battalion at Mudros too late to see action at Gallipoli. Probably transferred to 3rd Royal Marine Brigade in July 1916 when the Drake Battalion was broken up. Seriously wounded 11 Oct 17. Funnily enough he was shortly after shipped home on the same hospital ship as my Grandfather later was. Discharged 24 August 1918.

Address and father on papers same are the same for the family as the 1911 Census.

Some records here on Find My Past:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fadm339%2f0212-houg%2f00182&parentid=gbm%2fadm339%2f25777&highlights=%22%22

Same papers available here from National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7288727

The Fleet Air Arm Museum will hopefully have his full Service Papers:

http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks for that. The only other information I have is that he lived in Benfieldside and was born in October 1893, he was a pony driver in coal mine in 1911.

Thanks again Gary

See above mate. I found Harry in the Royal Naval Division.

Tim,

Thank you I hadn't scrolled down initially to see your reply. Can you confirm on discharge pages his parents are John William Howarth and Elizabeth Ann?

That's great info

Yes mate.

Father/Next of Kin is listed as John William Wood. Address initially 32 Wood Street, Shotley Bridge (same address for father which also matches 1911 Census) and then father's later changed to 8 Old Ford Road, Gateshead on Tyne. Fiance also recorded - Miss N White, 21 White Hart Lane, Kennington Park, London.

I am also trying to find my Great grandfather John Edmundson born in 1876. He is listed as a private in the 3rd Battalion Durham Light Infantry. I have been unable to find him or records on Ancestry.

He lived at 5 Wood Street, Shotley Bridge, Durham.

Thanks

Gary