Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2015 - all speakers announced

AlanCurragh

The sixth annual Great War Forum conference will be at the Tally Ho in Birmingham again, on 28th March 2015 with the same format as the previous conferences - five speakers, starting at 10.30, finishing at 5.30, followed by dinner. Something a little different this year - the conference will be in association with the Douglas Haig Fellowship, founded in 1995 to commemorate and study the life of Field Marshal Earl Haig of Bemersyde and the forces he commanded. Three of the talks will have a broad theme of Haig and his legacy.

I'm delighted to announce the speakers -

Christina Holstein - "Why There, Why Then? The Battle of Verdun 1916"

Peter Hart - "New Ways of Killing - the BEF and the integration of new weapons systems 1914-1918"

Gordon Corrigan - "Douglas Haig - Hero or Villain?"

Charles Messenger - "Haig's Army in 1915"

Michael LoCicero - "The Night Operation on the Passchendaele Ridge, 2 December 1917"

The cost will be £30 per person, covering the conference, lunch and tea and coffee. Dinner will be £28.

As with last year's event, pals will be more than welcome to bring along books to sell, or any display material you have.

Please can you let me know you want to attend. You can make your payment either via a cheque or by using the Paypal link - details of both are here, and can also be accessed by the link in my signature -

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=169635

Any questions, please let me know

Many thanks

Alan

Two please Alan, a cheque will be in the post, as they say :D

So pleased Christina's in the line-up, a cracking start for this year already!

Count me in again next year, please Alan. A cheque will be dispatched in due course.

Cheers Martin B

any contact details for fellowship, i have info on his last speech ref my book War Memorial Park and his polo career ref my book Polo and the Great War

Thanks

Just google "Douglas Haig Fellowship" for more details...

Chris - they were thinking of their own conference and approached me with a view to holding a joint event, with a couple of speakers already in place. I was happy to oblige - I am hoping it will be mutually beneficial for both the Fellowship and the Forum. At present there are no plans to do the same thing in future years, and apart from the generally theming of the afternoon talks, everything about the event should be familiar to our regular attendees

Alan

Conference and dinner again for me please Alan. Deposit paid via PayPal

Roger

Thanks Martin, Kim and Roger. If you do send a deposit (either via cheque or Paypal), can you please mark it as such, so I know you are coming to the conference

Alan

Thanks Martin, Kim and Roger. If you do send a deposit (either via cheque or Paypal), can you please mark it as such, so I know you are coming to the conference

Alan

Cheque posted today, Alan, with attachment specifying

Cheers Martin B

Excellent speaker, look forward to it. Will book when funds allow!

Carole

Hi Alan

I will be attending this year for the conference and dinner. Cheque on its way to you. Looking forward to it and to seeing who the other speakers are.

Regards. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alan

I will be attending this year for the conference and dinner. Cheque on its way to you. Looking forward to it and to seeing who the other speakers are.

Regards. Mike

Cheque received - thanks Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Time I announced our second speaker - it is a young up-and coming Great War author called Peter Hart - I'm not sure if he has done this kind of thing before so may be a little nervous.....

Pete's talk will be "New Ways of Killing - the BEF and the integration of new weapons systems 1914-1918"

Please see the first post of this thread for details of how to secure your place

Thanks

Alan

Is it too late to ask for a refund!! Only joking of course.

Roger

Thanks to those who have sent deposits - if I haven't acknowledged your deposit, I'll do so shortly

Come on Kim, it really wouldn't be the same without you!

And our third speaker - I'm hugely pleased to welcome back Gordon Corrigan, one of the most entertaining and provocative speakers we've ever had at a conference.

Gordon's talk is "Douglas Haig - Hero or Villain?"

Details on booking your place in the first post on this thread

Alan

Now that does sound good!

Argh, no. I've left it so long to post it'll all get mixed up in the Christmas post.

Anyone want to enlighten me about Paypal, which I've avoded like the plague so far, but it's got to be easier than postman pat?

Never had problems with it Kim. Very easy to use and as safe as any on line financial transactions.

Roger