Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who are these soldier Post 2

Tavern Druid

Dear Forum members

Still could post see the attachment so have started a new post.

If dont work may need help as I am obviously doing something wrong.

My friend bought this postcard at a postcard fair.

The seller thought that it might have been taken in Kent, somewhere !

Also that they might be PoW's.

On closer inspection they are not PoW's as they clearly have rifles with them.

But they don't look like British soldiers.

Would any member be able to identify the uniform please?

They have an interesting insignia on the sleeve.

Also high collars with what looks like some sought of braiding which also appear on the shoulders.

And one or two are wearing white cross belts.

Although these may just be individual haversacks.

Most seem to have forage caps but one man is wearing what looks like some sought of helmet.

He is to the right (as we look at it) and in front of the windmill between the rifle stacks.

Sorry dont know what the correct term is for these.

They are at rest and eating there meal.

Any help would be most welcome

David

post-98824-0-74750400-1414873092_thumb.j

Its very difficult to make anything out......mind you...my eyes are not what they were.... it might be worth considering doing a better resolution scan of a smaller segment..i.e. the 4 gentlemen seated front right........

Hi

I have suggested enlarged a couple of ares and will post them separate as the go over the limit.

David

post-98824-0-23239200-1414874628_thumb.j

Hello David

I'm pretty certain that they aren't British, French, German or Russian - the sleeve insignia don't fit. Austro-Hungarian or Italian are possibilities although the windmill does suggest Belgian or Dutch. I think the braided collars are wrong for Belgians, though.

Ron

Interesting slouch hat in the first picture... and white slings on the rifles, and leather gaiters or calf-high boots. But the rank chevron does look very British, although the cuff and collar braiding don't. Sorry, not much help! Interesting picture, though.

My 1st though was for Rifle Volunteers, the rifles in the pile,will give a clue to era and nationality zoom in on the breech mechanism of the rifles to the right of the seated figure.

Hi Johnboy

The back of the postcard is printed in English but has not got a manufacturers name on it.

The blank and not been filled in by anyone.

Thanks for all your replies, seems like it may remain a mystery.

David

Leather boots and no waistbelt suggests that they might be Yeomanry, period circa 1880 to 1914. The rifles seem to have magazines, so may be Lee Enfield or perhaps Lee Metford?

In my post 5, please insert "regular" after "British"!

Ron

I'm going back to my original thought of Rifle Volunteers, the rifles seem to be almost certainly Enfields, the tunics appear to have a single loop cuff cord, and those wearing side caps have a light coloured piping on the flaps.

G

But Rifle Volunteers usually had waistbelts. They might have taken them off in camp, of course.

Ron

Different battalions had different standing orders, it was usual when eating that waistbelts and headress was removed, but as they are outside headress may still be required.