Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th (Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) Bn King's Shropshire Light

alantaylor2004@hotmail.com

Hi there,

Can anyone help with the war diaries of how this man met his end:

Thomas Himsworth 31944 Lce Cpl, 10th Bn,(Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) King's Shropshire Light Infantry dies 22nd August 1918.

He also has the number 104183 Pte Notts & Derby (it is this number that is on the medal that I have)

Regards,

Alan

You can download the Battalion War Diary for their service in France from the NA for £3.30.

Here is the file No:

WO 95/3154/2

My Grandfather served in the Battalion in Palestine and France.

Hi there,

Sorry to be a pain but these diaries by looking up that number W0 95/3154/2 would that be the diary just for that day or for what period?

Although he is listed as Thomas Himsworth 31944 Lce Cpl, 10th Bn,(Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) King's Shropshire Light Infantry died 22nd August 1918.

Could it be he was actually killed with the Notts & Derby. He also has the number 104183 Pte (it is this number that is on the medal that I have)

Would it be best for me to go to Kew and what number would I need for the Notts & Derby.

Regards,

Alan

W0 95/3154/2 is the War Diary for the 10th Battalion KSLI for the period of months, from May 1918, that they were in France. This would cover the date of Thomas Himsworth death in August 1918.

He was killed whilst with the KSLI.He is buried at VIEILLE-CHAPELLE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY, LACOUTURE, grave reference VI. B. 11. This is from the CWGC web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Just an update regarding the war diary. I went to Kew and viewed the diary (had a few other things that I wanted to look up) however I found no mention of any enemy or other action on or near the date, all very interesting though.

Cheers,

Alan

On my downloaded War Diary from Kew there is an attached report for the action on 22nd August. This says there was heavy fighting on that day, but doesn't give any casualty details.The actual day to day details for the 22nd give very little details, you need to see the attached report.I can PDF this for you, if you want? Please let me know.

Donald

This member has form for never saying thanks see

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83679&hl=graeme#entry2178187

Still not had an e-mail from him thanking me !!!!!!

He only deigned to put that answer on after I contacted him AGAIN

It is twice he has received diaries from me and not once have I had any form of acknowledgment.

He is on my 'keep away' from list,

Graeme

Hi again,

I'm sorry to hear that you seem that I am not appreciative I have acknowledged that fact that you have helped me on the forum and thanked you for it. I have also sent a message to your personal inbox. Should I have been quicker, sorry not to sure what I should be doing?

Kind regards,

Alan

Hi again,

I have checked my personal e-mails and can confirm that I have had none from you, however I have had the war forum messages which I have acknowledged and thanked you for.

Regards,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing it add on the topic from me other than to observe that my grandfather also served with the Battalion.

He enlisted with the Cheshire Yeomanry who subsequently merged with the Shropshire Yeomanry to create this Battalion. My grandfather was commissioned in Cairo in December 1917 and transferred to the Suffolk Yeomanry. I have quite a few papers and photos of his relating to Palestine, but just one picture from France.

Remarkably cheap for the downloads these days - I paid lots to get War Diaries photocopied years ago.....

David