Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information about German PoW Camps

chrrip

I am going through the ICRC records of soldiers of the London Rifle Brigade captured in WWI. (what a resource!) Most of them were taken during particular offensives by both sides and so many found themselves in the same camps as their chums; eg Parchim and Friedrichsfeld for the majority of those captured at Gavrelle/Oppy on 23.8.18, Minden for those taken on 1.7.16 & Limburg for those captured in Polygon Wood on 16.8.17. I would like to know more about conditions in these and other camps and would welcome some pointers. I do have copies of interviews of LRB men in WO161 (all were escapers) and they seem to be very comprehensive. Many thanks Chris

Very interesting information about the books Marjorie - I have found two on your list well worth reading.

Anne

Thank you Marjorie & John; most helpful; today stumbled across a group of LRB youngsters who were captured late in October 18 - new to me. chris

Glad you found it useful. As an aside, I was looking for and found a book on the Red Triangle workers (YMCA) as opposed to the Red Cross. They also worked to provide food and comforts to the POWs in the camps and had a base in Berlin. I followed a link to a site that was supposed to be Gutenberg but seemed a bit too 'glossy' for their site. I tried to download the PDF via iPad and it wouldn't let me do it. The iPad came up with an error message. I tried later on my PC and my anti-virus kicked in big style. A big red screen and the message was; don't go there!

It is clearly out of copyright but WH Smith have a reprint for £40 - I'll just pass on that one then! I found another book instead on the archive.org site by Conrad Hoffman on the same subject - that'll do me.