Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'German List' What might this mean?

Bennett

I am doing research on an Officer casualty who was killed in action on 2 June 1917 in a failed trench raid during the lead up to the Messines attack 7 June. He was OC of that operation.

He was in the first wave of the raid and was initially reported as missing and one of his Lieuts. mounted a strong patrol to find him and this attempt also failed and that Officer was KIA.

On June 7th the family was sent a war office telegram stating that their Son was missing in action. On June 9th the office of the Military Secretary sent a letter to the family stating that his name had been placed on a "Missing Officers list" to be forwarded to the Netherlands legation in Berlin to be then circulated to German hospitals and POW camps.

On June 14th a second war office telegram informed the family that he was now confirmed killed in action on June 2, 1917.

Here is the German list part--On October 9, 1917, the office of the Military Secretary sent a second follow up letter to the family saying that the name of Captain Stuart Ramsay DSO, LNL Regt "appears on the official German list which has been forwarded to the War Office by the Netherland Legation, Berlin".

Previously I had assumed that the Captain had been killed in action during the June 2nd failed raid and that his body had been recovered when that trench was captured in the successful 7 June Messines action. However the German list mentions him by name and rank and seems to suggest and leaves me wondering if perhaps he was not initially KIA but died of his wounds in German custody and was granted a battlefield grave. Captain Ramsay was later buried at CWGCSt. Quentin Caberet Cemetery, a few miles behind the British front line trenches before Messines.

All the above appears in his Officer's papers and Field Service sheet says KIA 2.6.17. Interesting also that contrary to other sources "Officers Died in the Great War' states he died of wounds on 3 June, Not 2 June. Any guidance appreciated on my mystery and no penalties for guessing. Thanks Ralph

Opps PS forgot to mention 'German list' report states he died June 3, 1917 contrary to previous reports of 2 June

Right! sorry about the double entry for this topic. The blame lies entirely with this darn computer of mine!