The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery: Special Reserve - Egypt

OyiboJohn

I am researching my grandfather's Great War Service. HowardEllis. He was commissioned into the Royal Field Artillery 7/9/17 from the Artists' Rifles. I know he was posted to Egypt and believe fought in Palestine.

If anybody has been researching the commissioned officers of the RA, might they know which Brigade he may have been posted to and which division they were assigned to? Failing that, can anyone help by identifying which RFA Brigades went to Egypt/Palestine?

An obituary stated that he volunteered for the Artist's Rifles at the start of the war. However, in 'Artists Rifles 1914-1919 Role of Honour' shows he would have volunteered/nominated for this Officer Training Unit in December 1916. He may have enlisted previously. Might there be a record of that somewhere?

Thanks

This may be his service record at Kew - WO 339/89362

The maybe is that there could be more than one Howard Ellis, RFA and not all officers service records have survived.

Phil

Edit: I have just checked WO 338 and the Long Number matches - Ellis, Howard; RFA (SR); 174056; 2/Lt

Thanks Phil. That is very much appreciated. I have sent a request for a quote for copying relevant dates and units served.

John