Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Sheddie

Hello, I'm trying to find the exact trench location of the 8th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles on 7th June 1917. I know they were somewhere close to these lat-long coordinates: 50.769238, 2.861271.

My Grandfather, Albert Edward Todd was a 19 year old 2nd Lieutenant there.

The war record says

"6th june 17

At 9:30pm the Battalion paraded (were very happy) and moved off by platoon at two minute intervals to the assembly trenches just behind the front line trenches at L 35.d and L 36.C ( Ref. WYTCHAETE .28.SW2. Edi. 5A). where the remainder of bombs, bomb carriers etc. were issued to all ranks. The men were remarkably cheery.

At 3:10am the Attack began.

Thanks

Hi Sheddie, if it will help I can let you have a Summary of the Offensive Operations of the 8th Bn. on 7th June but the 3 pages are too big to upload.

Anne

PS I think you may already have this summary.

Edited by anneca

Hi Anneca

Yep, your right I have it already thanks to a very nice person who sent me the disc ;)

Many thanks for the offer :)

Eddie

Thanks for the link Sotonmate. It may come to that.

Hi all,

Apologies for butting in on this thread and extending the scope slightly. I have a keen interest in the Battle of Messines where my great uncle was killed in action, and I'm continually looking to build upon my knowledge - in particular anything to do with 10/Royal Irish Rifles.

I have the Battalion War Diary and several trench maps covering the area, but would the Summary of the Offensive Operations referred to in an earlier post by Anneca be the account contained within the diary - or is that from another source?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi all,

Apologies for butting in on this thread and extending the scope slightly. I have a keen interest in the Battle of Messines where my great uncle was killed in action, and I'm continually looking to build upon my knowledge - in particular anything to do with 10/Royal Irish Rifles.

I have the Battalion War Diary and several trench maps covering the area, but would the Summary of the Offensive Operations referred to in an earlier post by Anneca be the account contained within the diary - or is that from another source?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, the Summary of the Offensive Operations on 7th June 1917 which I referred to is contained within the War Diaries of the 8th Bn. PM me if you do not already have this.

Anne

Hi John,

Many many thanks for the McMaster link, terrific maps. Now I have a really good idea where the German and Irish trenches where though I'm still hunting for the precise location of the 8th bat RIR.

Great stuff. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering why my gran father started of in the Irish rifles then transferred into the royal Irish fusiliers the labour core

I have some numbers might mean something any help would be great

p8573

gs102045

labour 518070

Hi all,

Many thanks

Steve

hi steve,

just thought I`d put this up for you, I bought it in Dublin some years ago, lots of dings on it ,action damage?? the cords are my addition.

post-28990-0-20088100-1416053301_thumb.j

post-28990-0-16484000-1416053315_thumb.j

What a lovely piece of history. Thanks for posting West Coast.

Steve

I think the bugle may well be a tourist- gift shop type item. You may wish to post your pictures in the uniform and equipment section of the forum. Regards, Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

I was concerned regards the font used for regiment details- and no mentioned of makers details. You own and have the item in hand though, and sounds like you have done your research - and if you are 100% happy that fine. Regards, Paul.

thank you paul for your reply. as you say I have the item in hand and can see and examine easier than a pic, I am no expert by any means and I bow to your most likely knowledge, but just comparing the bugle to others I have ,there is a marked difference in weight and 'robustness', it also has a turned down collar on the 'pipe' where the mouthpiece fits, this is to prevent splitting . I can`t comment on the regimental font/stamping as I know zilch on r.i.rif ,[Dublin fus is my main interest]. ...thanks again for your interest....ps it still blows .

mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a transcribed (text version) version of the war diaries of the 8th battalion Royal Irish Rifles? I was kindly given photos of the handwritten, which are great, but a text version would be easily searchable.

Thanks

Eddie

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

Does anyone have War Diary info for the 8th Battalion during October 1917? The only version I have goes up to September, but I'm pretty sure my great grandather won his MC in October so I'd love to see the offensive/operation it was gained in.  Also, I have a picture of my great granfather in uniform but was wondering if theres a photo of the 8th Battalion together, that would be wonderful.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Edited by robertbarrie96

52 minutes ago, robertbarrie96 said:

Hi all, 

Does anyone have War Diary info for the 8th Battalion during October 1917? The only version I have goes up to September, but I'm pretty sure my great grandather won his MC in October so I'd love to see the offensive/operation it was gained in.  Also, I have a picture of my great granfather in uniform but was wondering if theres a photo of the 8th Battalion together, that would be wonderful.

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Also posted as post #13 in this thread

Regards

Chris

1 hour ago, robertbarrie96 said:

Hi all, 

Many thanks in advance

Rob

Hello Rob.

I have the 8th Bn diary for Oct 1917. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send it to you by tomorrow.

(My grandfather and his older brother were both in the 8th Bn.)

Mick.

On 23. 2. 2017 at 21:11, MickLeeds said:

Hello Rob.

I have the 8th Bn diary for Oct 1917. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send it to you by tomorrow.

(My grandfather and his older brother were both in the 8th Bn.)

Mick.

Hi Mick,  

email is robertbarrie96@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you so much for offering to send it. I've only been researching my great grandfather properly for a week now but I've so many friendly and helpful fellow descendants from the 8th Royal Ir. Rif.  I read some of the war diary and I felt like I was there alonside my great grandfather in the trenches. 

May I ask another question, do you know if there are any photos of the 8th Batallion? Possibly one's with the officers or any for that matter. 

Thanks again for your help.

Also thanks again @clk for helping me with this, much appreciated :)