Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian women in WW1

robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys,

Let's not forget the tireless work of Vera Deakin, OBE - Founder of the Australian Wounded & Missing Inquiry Bureau. (& daughter of our 3 x PM)

Anyone who's research has involved trawling through the bountiful Red Cross W & M files on the AWM website would have come across her letters numerous times.

Imagine the relief of 'closure' she (with the help of many volunteers) must have passed on to many grieving & frustrated families during the war years.

Not to mention the wealth of information that was generated by this Bureau on behalf of the final moments of so many of our brave soldiers - which greatly helps we budding historians in our understanding & commemoration of them.

An example of such:

Excerpts of letters from soldiers re: Capt J W Pearce, 21st Bn, AIF, KIA 4/10/17, & commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Mem:

"This officer was killed on 4/10/17 whilst gallantly leading his company to the attack on Broodseinde Ridge."

"I was alongside him when he was shot by a sniper right through the head and he died instantly."

"..... and he was buried in Broodseinde Cemetery and I personally erected a Cross to him above his grave ......"

"One of the best officers that ever walked. You ask any of the C. Coy."

"This Officer was held in the very highest esteem by all ranks and his men would follow him anywhere, as they had a great affection for him. Capt Pearce was absolutely fearless in action, and always showed himself as a born leader of men. His kindness and care for the men under his command especially endeared him to them. His death was more than an individual loss and was felt deeply by all in this battalion, as well as by his many friends in other units. He leaves behind him a reputation as an officer and a gentleman, which will never fade from the minds of those who worked with him or under his command."

Joseph Pearce is no longer just a name & no. on my database.

Thanks Vera for your invaluable contribution. Frev

[For more details on her life - check out the Who's Who section on the AWM

website]

• 2 weeks later...
G'day

I 'stumbled' across a Memorial in Tilba Tilba NSW & was intrigued by the name of Sister Corkhill MM. 4th from bottom on top panel

A quick check of the AWM site disclosed the following link:

Sr Pearl Corkhill

The name preceeding hers is that of her brother.

I 'understand' that the town of Tilba Tilba was really the settlement dependant upon the Pastoral Station owned by their father. So they apparently made sacrifices to leave the country seat & head off to FRance.

G'day All,

I stumbled across the monument in Tilba a few years ago, my wife and I were on our way to Victoria and then back to Sydney via Canberra. The AWM has an extensive file on Sister Corkhill. Donna, my wife sat in the research rooms quietly reading her letters home, she was nearly in tears when we left.

Regards,

Andrew

• 1 month later...
If I get time in the coming weeks I'll photograph her medals and post the image here.

Sister Alicia Kelly's medals on display at the Army Museum of Western Australia. Excuse the poor quality photograph as my camera didn't like the glass they were displayed behind

post-38-1105934571.jpg

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to photograph Alicia's medals - it's good to see them so well looked after.

I think you've done pretty well with the photo - I always end up with such weird angles when I try to photograph anything behind glass - trying to avoid flash back!

I printed out the 'non-closeup' view - and it hasn't come out too bad really.

Cheers, Frev.

• 1 month later...
Guest lilydalelil
Sister E. Pearl Corkhill continued to nurse her soldiers after her return to Australia,

She was one of 7 Australian nurses to win the Military Medal,

Sister Corkhil won the MM for her bravery during the bombing of a Hospital in France. She was also present diuring the bombing of a military hospital in England. Two patients were reported as missing and Sr Corkhill crawled through the heavilly damaged wards & stairways to rescue both.

Missed this the first time round, and now it has bobbed to the top again :D

Robbie, go to the CWGC Register and set it up to find WW1, Civilian and Australian. Then put three asterisks in the name field and you will get a list of all Australian Civilians who died in WW1. It is then "just" a question of checking each one, which might be difficult because some have only initials.

However, some women must be mentioned. For example:

Australian Munition Worker Rose Roseman, who died in November 1918 and is buried in Fulham, London.

I just tried this and got 152 "hits", although one of them is actually a woman who died in WW2! VAD Joan Emily McEwin from South Australia. Must be some sort of glitch :(

Missed this the first time round, and now it has bobbed to the top again  :D

Robbie, go to the CWGC Register and set it up to find WW1, Civilian and Australian. Then put three asterisks in the name field and you will get a list of all Australian Civilians who died in WW1. It is then "just" a question of checking each one, which might be difficult because some have only initials.

However, some women must be mentioned. For example:

Australian Munition Worker Rose Roseman, who died in November 1918 and is buried in Fulham, London.

Thanks Beppo...

RObbie :P

PS. It threw up 152 names - this included ww2.

PPS did it again and got 67 names.

Edited by robbie