The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required 1/6, 2/6, 3/6 Sherwood Foresters

Medaler

Hi,

I am trying to identify some details pertinent to 3838 (later 241240) Pte Albert Shaw and need help with a couple of issues.

His service record seems not to have survived, but his pension documents have. I am trying to piece together his service history up to the time he joined 1/6 in France.

Access to his pension record, the 1/6 War Diary and "Men of the High Peak" are all however failing to hit the spot!

I know that he enlisted on "duration" terms on 3rd February 1915, and that he was earmarked for 2/6 whom he presumably joined at Luton. The 3/6 had not yet come into existence on that date so they were not an option from the start of his service. You would think his pension record, with the detail of his movements, would clear this up, but it does not. Army Form B 103 gives his date of transfer to 1/6 as 18th March 1916, the same date shown elsewhere as his embarkation date for France. It looks however as if that transfer may have been made from 3/6 rather than 2/6. It is actually indistinct on the form. There is however no mention anywhere of a preceding move from 2/6 to 3/6.

Can anyone shed any light on that? If he did move from 2/6 to 3/6, would I be right in thinking it would have been very soon after 3/6 was formed, because they took over the training function, and he was very new?

The next issue I have is the date he joined 1/6 in France. A form seemingly headed E502 7th reinforcement 1/6 Sherwood Foresters confirms embarkation as 18th March 1916 and arrival at 46 NM Base Depot as 19th March 1916. The problem however would seem to be that the date of his joining the unit (1/6) in the field is given as "5 AVR 1916". Having checked the War Diary, there is no detail of any men arriving on that date. There is however a reference to 122 OR's arriving at Fermont Caprel on 31st March from what looks to be 3rd line (3/6 presumably?). Is it likely that the date on his form is an error?

Hopefully you can see why I am struggling with this! - As always, any help would be deeply appreciated.

Warmest regards,

Mike

post-100829-0-13531900-1414623996_thumb.

Here is the other document.......

post-100829-0-06379500-1414624271_thumb.

Mike

I'd presume he joined 3/6th - the LLT has them becoming the 6th Res Bn in April 1916. However the upper form was probably copied up later as his 1917 six digit TF number is written nearly in the top right instead of being next to a crossed out 4 digit one (like on the form below). The 6th Res and 3/6th names would have referred to the same battalion and the details have probably been hurriedly copied up from another form. In retrospect these terms would be interchangeable. The 3/6th Battalion might have been referred in passing as the 'Reserve Battalion' as there was little hope of them deploying. However logically he could not have joined the 5th Res in 1915 if it wasn't formally renamed until the next year. He was presumably one of the first to join the 3/6th on formation (with the 2/6th presumably being up to complement).

As for the issue of his draft in France - either:

The return back to the base didn't arrive until 5th April having been despatched when the draft arrived on 31st March.

or

The battalion was in trenches when the draft arrived so it stayed with the transport and didn't get inspected and incorporated into the companies until the battalion came out of the line on the 5th. Drafts to some units were inspected by the CO or RSM before being sent to companies. If the CO and adjutant were with the battalion in the trenches the draft may not have been processed until the tour was complete.

That's my take on it anyway.

Kind regards

Colin

Many thanks for you thoughts Colin.

I have kind of adopted the theory that he was with the 3rd line draft shown in the War Diary for 31st March. The previous note of a draft joining 1/6 was before his embarkation date (16th March). The Btn were out of the trenches at Mont St Eloi on 31st March. On 5th April the Btn were also out of the trenches at "ACQ". I must admit, I am also unsure what that stands for, but presume it also refers to Mont St Eloi.

I also think he may have joined 2/6 for a start and then passed from them to 3/6 on their formation in March 1915 (according to LLT).

My theories however have proved on many occasions not to represent anything like the facts :-)

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike

The war diary has the battalion going into the trenches on 27 March and not being relieved until 3 April. I presume the mentions of Fremont Cappel were where the battalion transport was located. Acq is near to Fremont - according to Google Maps - and was probably where the battalion was located whilst out of the line.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

You have just made me laugh out loud!!

I thought ACQ was an acronym - It never dawned on me it was a placename - Agh, so much to learn and so little time!

My sincere thanks again, you will understand now just what a duffer you are dealing with!

Warmest regards,

Mike

Mike

I think that the first form you posted is a transcript from his Army Service Record done after 1918

The second form is certainly original and records his service overseas from March 1916 to 1918.

Just talking generalities here:-

During 1915-16 there was a lot of movement between 2/6th, 3/6th, TF Dept and the Command Depots at Ripon and Balyvonare that may not have been retrospectively recorded. But also it is quite feasible for him to go from 3/6th to 1/6th. Bear in mind that the 2/6th was up to establishment by the end of 1914 and so its highly likely he did join the 3/6th in Feb 1915.

As regards his arrival 'in the field' the War Diary and Battalion History aren't very comprehensive or accurate - I've collected lots of examples of men joining the 1/6th on dates that are not 'officially' recorded, but I would agree that Acq was a good place to receive a new draft (I personally believe it is the 30th March draft that he arrived with).

You'll find more info on Acq here

https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/1916-2/la-folie-farm/

And I've also figured out the dates of most drafts to the 1/6th Battalion here:-

https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/reinforcements/

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your insight on this. The War Diary entry for 31st March refers to "122 other ranks arrived from 3rd line" so that, together with your confirmation, pretty much ties it up for me.

I have also found another source on the internet pertaining to 2/6 and their service in Ireland. In the opening paragraph it states "The 3rd Battalion was enlisted in January, 1915, and mobilised at Louth." I do not have the title of this work but it runs to 28 pages and your are doubtless very familiar with it. That would indeed point to my man being 3/6 from day one.

Again, my sincere thanks for helping me out with this.

Warmest regards,

Mike