Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lawrence Blanchard - Bomber in British Army

David_Blanchard

I am trying to find out more about a British soldier who saved the life of the American ambassador in Paris in 1921.

He is mentioned in Bill Bryson's book about 1927 as being familiar with bombs from the First World War.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=iWS--YBpdgsC&pg=PA317&lpg=PA317&dq=lawrence+blanchard+herrick+bryson&source=bl&ots=fYHNve_4Hn&sig=MbO-ehf9kEINIz9MlWAMsy71cP0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=v0tRVOiaIvCS7AbJKg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=lawrence%20blanchard%20herrick%20bryson&f=false

I cannot trace him on Ancestry- any help appreciated

David

His name appears to have actually been Walter Blanchard.

Apparently, he was 32 when the incident happened in 1921, and had served through the entire war.

In view of post #2 there was a WO1 in the AOC in WW1 called Walter Blanchard, 04650, who might have been seen to have the credentials for such a detection.Served in france from 17 Sep 1915 and discharged to Class Z on 7 May 1919.

I enjoyed "1927" !

According to the Palm Beach Post of October 1921 he was a bomber during the Great War.. Anyway, not a bad read...

Mike

Thanks. I checked again and the obituary for Ambassador Herrick names his valet as Walter Blanchard- so Bryson is wrong!

David

Thanks for your reply. How do you know it was Walter Blanchard?

David

In Bill's defence, he does appear as "Lawrence" in a number of contemporary newspaper accounts. However, he appears in a number of biographies (he served a few important men), as Walter.

The Chicago Tribune has him as an airship pilot.