Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Bn Royal Warwickshires

Guest bruckshaw

Guest bruckshaw

My father Pte. Herbert Millward, 29124,. was reported missing in action on 16th April 1918. He had been wounded and was treated in the German Hospital at Groningen where his left leg was amputated above the knee during several operations.

He was full of praise for the attention he received from the staff there. I would dearly love to know which action he would have been involved in at the time. I am now 85 and dimly recall mention of St Quentin, Arras and Ypres. Can anyone please direct me to any authority who might have more detailed information?.

He originally enlisted in the 3rd Cheshires but for some reason was posted to the 2/5th Royal Warwickshires on 14 July 1917 and then to the 2/6th when the 2/5th was disbanded in February 1918. All this detail is from his record cards online.

Many thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

I see from his service papers (numbered 20124) that he briefly joined the 16th Cheshires from the 3rd which I think must be his point of entry - 20.06.17. And that he was previously wounded on 26.11.17 whilst with the 2/5th RW.

For the action in March as per Graeme's post you could download the 2/6th war diaries held at the TNA here if a March 1918 extract from a RW expert isn't forthcoming. They are unlikely to mention Herbert by name but will provide good detail and context..

Mike

My father Pte. Herbert Millward, 29124,. was reported missing in action on 16th April 1918. He had been wounded and was treated in the German Hospital at Groningen where his left leg was amputated above the knee during several operations.

He was full of praise for the attention he received from the staff there. I would dearly love to know which action he would have been involved in at the time. I am now 85 and dimly recall mention of St Quentin, Arras and Ypres. Can anyone please direct me to any authority who might have more detailed information?.

He originally enlisted in the 3rd Cheshires but for some reason was posted to the 2/5th Royal Warwickshires on 14 July 1917 and then to the 2/6th when the 2/5th was disbanded in February 1918. All this detail is from his record cards online.

Many thanks.

Hello Bruckshaw

Welcome to the forum. I have the war dairy for the 2/6th RWR and I show below the entry for the 22nd March 1918 when Graeme writes that your father was captured. On the 1st March the battn was in the front line outside St Quentin. On the 6th they were relieved by the 2/7th RWR and went to Germaine for training. On the 14th they then relieved 2/8th Worcesters west of Holmon in the battle zone. The extract for the 22nd is as below:-

'Battalion ordered to retire about 12 noon. Col. Davidson formed an extended line with his men from Attilly in a northern direction joining on his right the 2/7th RWR and kept up a slow rearguard fight to the ARMY LINE, which the remains of the battalion reached about 4.30 in the afternoon: a further retirement was made at about 6pm to Beauvois, where Col. Davidson collected 40 men and occupied an old French trench at 7.30pm. He sent 2nd Lt F Hardy away to get orders, but he did not return and has not since been seen; at 9.30pm Col. Davidson collected his men with the intention of endeavouring to re-occupy the line, he went forward himself with the RSM and taking a rifle, sniped at the enemy whom he found, occupying the line, he returned to the trench by the village and collected some stragglers of other units, making his force about 80 strong. At 10.45pm he sent another officer back for orders, as his right flank was then being attacked but this officer reached HQ too late for retirement orders (which should have reached Col. Davidson at 9.30pm) to be sent him'

'Being almost surrounded, Col. Davidson withdrew his force at 2.0am. They rested at Matigny and reached Voyennes without loss at 8.0am........................................................

Hope that this helps, but as Greame has recommended, would suggest you buy and download the diary as there is a lot of information in it, including the diary, reports of the actions and several maps where the action took place.

Regards

Mike

Guest bruckshaw

Grateful thanks to Graeme and Mike for your help.

I was surprised to learn that he was captured so long before he was reported missing but the confusion of battle cannot be conducive to quick accounting for personnel . Also the report may have been from a more senior officer to his commander and that would add delay.

I have some letters from my father to his family sshowing that he was at Gottingen rather than Groningen which, of course, is in the Netherlands.

On the very rare occasions he referred to his experiences he said that his leg injuries were caused by a German grenade.

I will purchase the diary immediately.

Thanks again,

Eric Millward.