Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Pratt (1888) 148291 RH & RFA - 821867

Martin Feledziak

I am adding Charles Pratt in an attempt to tidy my computer desktop.

I have several documents which may be connected. I am using this topic as a scratchpad to link him to other great war soldiers on my family tree.

I am not entirely sure that the man and army documents are a match.

post-103138-0-30261700-1414578934_thumb.

Charles Pratt, Regimental No 821867

post-103138-0-54027700-1414594586_thumb.

191st Brigade Ammunition Column

392nd Battery

75th Divisional Ammunition Column.

Service Number 148291 - so the first question is are these two references for the same person given that the service numbers are at odds?

So the soldier on the Z69 form is shown as a Shoeing Smith. Is there a rank shown for the soldier in the second form,bearing in mind that it's titled "BA Service Records 1914-1920 Transcription",and there might be a form there which shows his rank ?

Both references refer to the same person. Originally in Staffordshire Yeomanry, Charles Pratt was transferred to the Regular RFA on June 18, 1916 and given number 148291. He served under this number in the units mentioned. At some point in 1917 it was decided that the service number allotted was based on attestation, so Charles was allotted 821867 but this may not have shown up on documentation until he was demobilized and was serving in Class Z Reserve. This is because his file was moved to the TF Wing of RH & RFA Records.

Thanks for the information

"sotonmate"

and David.

I have just added the below from the 1911 census which has him and his Dad boarding at an address in Hanley Stoke-On-Trent.

It gives him a birth year of 1888 but I have seen a record on Staffordshire Births,Deaths and marriages where he could be an 1887 Baby.

How strange that an engine fitter could end up as a Shoeing Smith with the RHA / RFA

Charles had two cousins, Percy (5 below ) who was in the Veterinary Corps and Felix ( 7 Below ) who was in the RGA - Royal Engineers.

I learn so much from this forum.

post-103138-0-81010500-1414604314_thumb.

This section fits nicely with the details above

British Army El Maghar & Occupation of Junction Station 13-14 November 1917

post-103138-0-40433300-1414665733_thumb.

The only thing that does not looks right is the CLXXII bit ( which I think means 172 )

It might be worth noting that the RHA and RFA had the same Record Office with the result that many men are shown in documents as RHA/RFA, but only served in one or the other.

D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Wulsten.

I have checked recent documents and I am not sure that the Charles on my family tree is the correct person. The census image is correct but the address on the army forms does not tally.

Martin