Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For the Collectors out there..................

Mark Finneran

I for one have never pulled out gold teeth or cut off a finger to get a gold ring from a corpse like the above gentleman certainly did ,so what's your point are you saying all ww1 collectors are either night hawks or grave robbers ?,

Biff :poppy:

I for one have never pulled out gold teeth or cut off a finger to get a gold ring from a corpse like the above gentleman certainly did ,so what's your point are you saying all ww1 collectors are either night hawks or grave robbers ?,

Biff :poppy:

I think our collections are being referred to, not how we acquired them. Simple when you think about it, or at least I think so :)

Tony

what gold ring - its in black and white ? Bit harsh Biffo on the soldier in the picture

The harshness must be something to do with Biff's new avatar?

I think he was one of the inspirations for the character of Pat Cleary in 'ANZACS' played by Paul Hogan. Reading the wiki article he does seem to have accumulated <piles> of souvenirs...

barb_zpsbfa6867a.jpg

I think he was one of the inspirations for the character of Pat Cleary in 'ANZACS' played by Paul Hogan. Reading the wiki article he does seem to have accumulated <piles> of souvenirs...

Yeah but Pat wouldn't have collected souvenirs the same way John Hines did, would he? Well, at least they didn't show him robbing the dead in Anzacs.

Tony

harsh I think not, our dear barney used to carry around a big bag of gold teeth taken from the dead,

so was the original post a GWF man posting a photo of a man who collects ww1"stuff" or !!!!!

the jury is out

Biff P.PM :poppy:

Firstly Biffo I should clarify - I too am a collector! :thumbsup: It was purely a tongue in cheek offering as when I was sent this image I thought I should share it with the collecting community. To be honest I did not know who he was (but I do now, thanks to others with wider knowledge than MGs).

So please don't read too much into my words - I thought it was funny and would parody the lengths some 'collectors' will go to - excluding cutting fingers or pulling teeth of cse.

I must add here though if someone offered me a rare German maxim piece I would willingly offer up my own finger!!

Mark

Sorry, so we know exactly who is in the picture ? if so and he is as Biffo says then an apology and fig roll is due

oh I do like a man who is honest enough to say sorry :thumbsup:
MG1918,no problem all is clear, blimey what else would you chop off for a rare item

Coldstreamer our dear barney was notorious, im sure if I were there I would collect badges and put them on my trophy belt, a friend of mine fought in the Falkland's and brought back "stuff"
may be I will have a fig roll or two :P

However, if you lived in their world and becamed de-sensitised to the dead removing teeth / rings etc was probably no issue when surrounded by dismembered testicles, innards, heads, eyes....... You get the picture. Oh to be a sanitised collector.

Let's not judge Barney too harshly!

TT