Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

jp1885

Hi all,

Just to let you know that the Herefordshire History website will go live on the 11th November 2014.

The main focus of the website is Herefordshire in the Great War, and it contains online copies of many local newspapers (Hereford Mercury 1914 - 1919, Kington (Newent) Reporter and Farmers Gazette 1914, Kington Times 1914 - 1919, Ledbury Guardian 1914 - 1919, Leominster News 1916 - 1922, Ross Gazette 1914 - 1919).

You can also access several collections of cracking WW1 photos, including the Alfred Watkins collection and the Winterbourn image collection, as well as pictures of Rotherwas munitions workers, newspaper adverts, posters and other goodies.

I'll post a link to the website after it officially goes live.

That's a very brave day to launch a Great War website - I hope you've done plenty of stress testing!

Certainly here on the GWF, we experience a huge peak of traffic around Remembrance Day.

Hopefully they've taken it into account, but I suspect it might go a bit wonky (is that a technical term?) on the day. I suppose if that happens, it'll settle down after a while.

Having worked in IT for nearly 40 years "a bit wonky" is acceptable as a "technical term". Many of the "technical terms" we used were not repeatable in front of ladies or people of a delicate disposition

Always remember one coversation between a user who urgently needed a system up and running in order to get a very high priorty time sensative report out when the system had just fallen into big heap.

Another IT person ...... long technical explanation of what he thought the problem was.

User ..... look of total confusion not having under stood a single word.

Me ....... "Basically it is bu**ered, with a bit of luck should be back up in about 2 hours"

User ..... looking at me "Thanks very much for explaining", long glare at the other person and then walks off.

All the very best with the website. One of "My men" signed up at Hereford and initially was in the Herefordshire Regiment, so look forward to seeing the site.

Evan

All the very best with the website. One of "My men" signed up at Hereford and initially was in the Herefordshire Regiment, so look forward to seeing the site.

Evan

Though he lived most of his life in Tenbury/Bewdley/Kidderminster across the line in Worcs., my grandfather was actually born in Little Hereford, so I'm very much looking forward to using this resource. Good luck next week!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks guys!

Looks like they're making the website public. To quote the Herefordshire History Facebook page:

We are getting very exciting about the official launch of the Herefordshire History website on Remembrance Day next week - the website is now available to preview at www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk, but please remember we will be continuing to add items and amend entries for a long time yet.

So by all means take a look!

I've been adding notes regarding cap badges etc. where I can, as have other volunteers, but I don't claim to be an expert, so am happy to be corrected.

We'll after two minutes silence the website has officially gone live - http://www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk/

I had a good chat with one of the administrators, and discovered that the search function will be improved, and that there are many more items in the archives waiting to be digitised, so this is just the tip of the iceberg!