Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Battery RFA

PaulH

On my father's birth certificated , dated 13 October 1914, my grandfather occupation is shown as Private, RFA 14th Battery. I have ascertained that he was a special reservist and went to France in August 1914, however when looking for 14th Battery RFA it seems that it was attached to and Indian Army Corps and did not serve in France. What remains of his military records do not what unit he was with on embarkation for France. Does anyone know if 14th Battery did serve in France and was then transferred.

Hello Paul

14 Battery did indeed serve in France, as part of 7 (Meerut) Division of the Indian Army Corps, until the end of 1915. It is possible that your grandfather was with another battery, or at the RFA Depot in France, and joined 14 Battery (in IV Brigade RFA) on its arrival in France in October 1914.

After leaving France, he two divisions of the Indian Army Corps went first to Mesopotamia, then to Egypt and Palestine for the remainder of the war.

Ron

Hello Ron,

Many thanks. I know that he did not serve outside France , so maybe he was with IV Brigade until they went to Mesopotamia and was then posted to another Battery. His medal receipt, dated 1920, says 30th Battery RFA. Another avenue to follow.

Paul H.

if he arrived in France in 1914 he should have a medal card for a 1914 star which should show which brigade he was in, if not battery. [unless on a 'supplementary' medal roll], which is possible for a special reservist. Has this been checked? A name and service number would also be useful. he could have been in 14 Reserve Battery RFA in oct 1914 . This is quite possible if mobilised SR. The Meerut Div only arrived in Marseilles mid_Oct 1914 I think ..