Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine War Diaries

wellsms

Hi,

The following war diaries are available on the excellent "Campaign for War Grave Commemorations" website.

Royal Navy Division War Diary Jan to May 1916 here

1st Royal Marine Bn War Diaries May 1916 to Jan 1919 here

2nd Royal Marine Bn War Diaries June 1916 to April 1918 here

Mike

• 2 years later...

I was interested to find this posting as I am trying to trace the movements of a member of the Portsmouth Battalion of the RMLI. I would find it particularly helpful if there are any war diaries or other information available about the day to day activities of the RMLI around the time of the April 1915 landings at Anzac Cove. The man I am retracing was one of the lucky (if that's the right word) ones who were brought down from the front line by the 'Man with the Donkey'. In later years he campaigned for some recognition for John Simpson Kirkpatrick in the latter's home town of South Shields.

Any leads regarding the RNLI would be much appreciated

Tom,

The RMLI were at Gallipoli as part of the Royal Naval Division and there is a tremendous amount of information [2,500 pages of A4] on the RND which was gathered by Len Sellers and published by him in his magazine 'RND' between June '97 & March '03. The last issue of the journal of The Gallipoli Association [The Gallipolian] informs that these valuable resources are available for research at the following locations;

Accrington Library

Admiralty Library, Portsmouth, Hants

Aldershot Library Military Collection

Birmingham University, World War One Study Centre

Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton, Somerset [NB - which also houses the RND service records]

Imperial War Museum, London, Department of Printed Books

King's College, London. Liddle Hart Centre for Military Archives

Leeds University. The Liddle Collection, Special Collections, Brotherton Library

National Army Museum, Chelsea, London

Royal Marines Museum, Southsea, Hants

Royal Naval Museum, Portsmouth, Hants

Royal Signals Museum, Blandford, Dorset

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks , this lead is very helpful. I am guessing that my man was in the 2nd battalion RMLI because the transfer dates from Mudros to Marseilles seem to fit his personal record (not easy to read) Are you aware of any way to establish which individuals were in a particular battalion? I know that he was in Portsmouth Division and Victory Brigade and am wondering if that automatically includes him in the Second Battalion or whether people swapped around?

If your man was Portsmouth Division RMLI (Register No. PO/XXXXX or PO/XXX(S), the chances are very high that he was, initially, in Portsmouth Battalion if he served in the RND. There are a few exceptions - some Portsmouth men served in Deal Battalion. Remember, these battalions only existed until the end of July 1915. Thereafter, Chatham and Deal Battalions combined to form 1st RM Battalion, and Plymouth and Portsmouth Battalions combined to form 2nd RM Battalion, both new battalions being part of the 2nd Brigade of the RND. Later in the war there was much more mixing of the RMLI divisions within the two RMLI battalions.

• 5 weeks later...

I followed Michael's advice and viewed the Len Sellers magazine 'RND' at the Imperial War Museum. The staff said it might be incomplete but there was still a large number of issues. I was able to run through about half of them.

Apart from being impressed by the sheer scope of the project , I found the mixture of sources to be very helpful in providing 'colour' to the events as well as the statistical detail.

The reading room staff were helpful and next time I will remember to book in advance. No cameras.

Tom,

Thanks for posting those comments. Len devoted several years of hard work to his 'RND' magazine and he produced a resource which I believe is invaluable to anyone with an interest in the RND and the 63rd (RN) Division.

It is my humble opinion that we owe Len a great debt and will continue to do so for some time to come. I was very pleased to learn that so many libraries have recognized this and that the general public now has the opportunity to access this wealth of information

regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

See post #3

This list of places where the 'RND' magazine of Len Sellers can be used for research has been up-dated per the notice in the latest edition of 'The Gallipolian' and Aldershot Library Military Collection has been added.

This was made possible by the donation of Mr D Finnigan of a set presented by the late Sidney Johnson (ex-RN)

• 8 months later...
Hi,

The following war diaries are available on the excellent "Campaign for War Grave Commemorations" website.

Royal Navy Division War Diary Jan to May 1916 here

1st Royal Marine Bn War Diaries May 1916 to Jan 1919 here

2nd Royal Marine Bn War Diaries June 1916 to April 1918 here

Mike

Hi - My grandfather was a Private no 21011 in the Royal Marines Light Infantry and spent most of his service on board HMS Champion from 1917 to 1920.

Can you help me locate which War Diaries I would look at to find his day to day activities ?

Regards

Josturm.

Your GF's papers are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum:

Chatham/21011; LEONARD, HE; Enlisted 17/11/1916; Discharged INVALIDED; D.o.b. 25/09/1899; P.o.b. BERMONDSEY

If he spent his entire service in ships you will not get much more, other than by following the ships' operations. War diaries only apply to RMLI fighting ashore with the BEF in France/Belgium.