Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Atkinson

links2lincs

I'm trying to find out more about a young lady called Elizabeth Atkinson (known as Lizzie Atkinson in the census returns) who according to a local roll of honour published in 1915 was serving as a nurse in Serbia. I have established from http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/, that she served with the Scottish Women's Hospital in Kraguievatz, Serbia, from 1 July 1915 – 1 November 1915.

I don't know what became of her, but I understand the Germans captured this area at the beginning of November. Was she a prisoner of war? Did she survive WW1?

I'd be grateful for any assistance given.

Thanks.

I can't find anything on the ICRC website to suggest that she was taken prisoner. Neither can I find anything on the CWGC site. However, Elizabeth gets a mention in

"Veiled Warriors: Allied Nurses of the First World War" by Christine E Hallett. You can see an extract which mentions Elizabeth at

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_-xwBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=elizabeth+atkinson+nurse+serbia&source=bl&ots=wSJVlPS-Qc&sig=IJ_8A35Q5o0bTiGpybgMhyxJUes&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3dlMVPaTBa6y7QbVhIHABw&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=elizabeth%20atkinson%20nurse%20serbia&f=false

Many thanks for this. What I do know about Elizabeth (Lizzie) Atkinson is that she was born in 1883, in Winterton, Lincolnshire, and was living in Grange over Sands in 1911. I would love to know if she survived WW1 and if so, what became of her.

Would she have been awarded a medal of some description for her service?

There is a medal card for her. This shows she was awarded the British War Medal and British Victory Medal. She is recorded as a Nurse with the British Committee, French Red Cross, from July to November, 1915. She is recorded under the name of Elizabeth Atkinson.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi again

This may be the same lady???????? Needs researching

P 212 Sept 1924 British Journal of Nursing under the Heading "Assistant Matron"

Darenth Training Colony, Dartford, Kent.-Miss Elizabeth

Atkinson, S.R.N., has been appointed Assistant Matron. She

was trained at the West Herts Hospital, the Maternity Hospital,

Glasgow, and the Lancaster Mental Hospital. She has been

Sister-in-Charge at the Jessop Hospital, Sheffield, Staff Nurse

and Acting-Sister T.F.N.S. in hospitals at Cambridge and

Salonika from January, 1915, to June, 1919, and Charge Sister

and Night Superintendent in Ministry of Pensions’ Hospitals in

London, Exeter, and Gretna Green.

According to Findmypast, she is mentioned in the December 23rd, 1915 issue of the Yorkshire Evening Post. However, when I clicked on the image I couldn't find the article. Perhaps another forum member will have better luck.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you so much for all the information. Alf McM - I found the article on the following page. What an epic journey she made and I have every respect for this formidable lady.

Hi again

This may be the same lady???????? Needs researching

P 212 Sept 1924 British Journal of Nursing under the Heading "Assistant Matron"

Darenth Training Colony, Dartford, Kent.-Miss Elizabeth

Atkinson, S.R.N., has been appointed Assistant Matron. She

was trained at the West Herts Hospital, the Maternity Hospital,

Glasgow, and the Lancaster Mental Hospital. She has been

Sister-in-Charge at the Jessop Hospital, Sheffield, Staff Nurse

and Acting-Sister T.F.N.S. in hospitals at Cambridge and

Salonika from January, 1915, to June, 1919, and Charge Sister

and Night Superintendent in Ministry of Pensions’ Hospitals in

London, Exeter, and Gretna Green.

I don't think this is the same lady. On the medal index card for Elizabeth Atkinson (FRX nurse) there is a note at the top which says "Not ident with S/nurse Elizabeth Atkinson T.F.N.S. NW/1/15971"

Staff nurse Elizabeth Atkinson first served in Salonica and entered on 20 October 1916.

FRX nurse Elizabeth Atkinson first served in 2a (which includes Serbia) and entered in July 1915.

The 1914-15 Winterton roll of honour has "Nurse E. Atkinson, Serbia" and this was sold in aid of the Red Cross Day on 21st October 1915.

The only nurse of that name that I can find in the census returns (1891, 1901, 1911) is Lizzie Atkinson, born about 1883 in Winterton. Her occupation is listed as Hospital nurse in 1911.

There is a medal card for her. This shows she was awarded the British War Medal and British Victory Medal. She is recorded as a Nurse with the British Committee, French Red Cross, from July to November, 1915. She is recorded under the name of Elizabeth Atkinson.

Regards,

Alf McM

Do you know if her service record survives?

The British Red Cross record cards are online at http://www.redcross.org.uk/About%20us/Who%20we%20are/History%20and%20origin/First%20World%20War/Search?sname=atkinson&page=3 {Surnames beginning with A and B, with a few C's}. Lizzie is not mentioned, but the list is known not to be complete, and she worked for the French Red Cross. There is another thread on the forum regarding French Red Cross records, but I am unable to find it.

Regards,

Alf McM