Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recently acquired Iron Cross medal

Guest Luftschutzpolizei

Guest Luftschutzpolizei

Hello,

I have recently come across an Iron Cross medal (not bought, I found it with some other old stuff) Would anyone here with a better knowledge of these items be able to tell me more about the symbols on the medal and whether or not it is authentic?

6be53def1b5aff257d82f66b4c021cfa.png690aee575be373aad09261b0a9ab26e6.png

The medal is not in perfect shape, the medal border is peeling away from the base but I hope these pictures are good enough

Thanks

Hi Luftschutzpolizei,

To me that is a 100% genuine three part construction (Iron centre sandwiched between 2 silver metal edges) Iron Cross second class. There may be a small maker's Mark on the suspension ring.

1813 is the date it was instituted and oak leaves are a common German motif

Dave

hear is one I have no need of if any one wants it just give me a couple of ramc photos for it and pm me please move if in the wrong place thanks

hear is one I have no need of if any one wants it just give me a couple of ramc photos for it and pm me please move if in the wrong place thanks

post-108857-0-92223300-1414318624_thumb.

post-108857-0-95923600-1414318638_thumb.

I have recently come across an Iron Cross medal (not bought, I found it with some other old stuff) Would anyone here with a better knowledge of these items be able to tell me more about the symbols on the medal and whether or not it is authentic?

Hi Luftschutzpolizei,

To me that is a 100% genuine three part construction (Iron centre sandwiched between 2 silver metal edges) Iron Cross second class. There may be a small maker's Mark on the suspension ring.

1813 is the date it was instituted and oak leaves are a common German motif

Dave

Dave is right. Just to add that the FW is for Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia who introduced the medal in 1813.

An old trick it to put a magnet against it to check that it is not a base metal copy and that it is made of Iron!.

Check the makers mark on the ring as previously suggested but to me it does look original.

Good luck

KB.