Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC attd N.L.T.Coy

dalew067

Hello Folks,

I’d be grateful if a member of the forum with medical knowledge could decipher the qualifications this fellow has.

Capt. John Frederick Gwyther Richards, (A NZ'er) ....Medical Practitioner, was originally in the R.A.M.C . and then was attested to the NZEF on the 14/8/18. NZEF Number is 3/4083..

His address at that time is listed as Guys Hospital.

Qualifications were M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., M.B., B.S. He was awarded the DSO in the 1918 New Years Honours List. In the London Gazette which announced the award, includes the notation. attd N.L.T.Coy. Would anybody have any idea what this means.?

Thanks

Dale

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the comment,

I had looked at the records on Archway some time ago,...

I am now thinking that the entry in the London Gazette must have been a typo, perhaps it should have been N.Z.T.Coy, however I can't find any references to that either.

So will keep hunting around.

Regards

Dale

Morning Peter.

Thanks for the link......

Funny how one things leads to another, I went hunting around and found a facebook page on the NZ Tunnellers, which had a link to the NZ Archway Archives, ......tunnelling company war diary........ where all their war diary's can be downloaded

Regards

Dale

• 1 year later...
Guest davidrichards

Hi Dale,

I don't know if you are still researching JFG Richards DSO or not , but I can probably give you a fair bit of information about him if you wish, as I have been researching him also - I am his grandson - and gave a presentation at the Waihi Memorial event in January of this year.

He was as you correctly ascertained, he was with the NZETC ( NZ engineering tunnelling company) and was their medical officer from the time they were at Arras in July 1916, until they returned to NZ in April 1919. Prior to that he was with the RAMC - attached to 5th Field Ambulance and saw front line action at Ypres and the Somme. His diaries give fairly graphic accounts of what he saw.

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information at david.richards@cdhb.health.nz

cheers David 

David

Was he in New Zealand when war broke out and came over and joined the RAMC or was he studying in the UK. As you probably know a lot of Australian (and US) medical officers came to our aid early on in the war.

Pete

Guest davidrichards

He was in England - working at the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital as a junior doctor. He wrote to the Navy and the Army the day war was declared by Britain and was declined by the Navy - they thought they already had enough doctors!, but accepted by the RAMC - and received his commission on 14th August ( confirmed 22 August) 1914. He had some training in Kent and then was transferred to France in Oct 1914, and thence to 5 Field Ambulance. He then was seconded to various army regiments as part of 5 Field ambulance, seeing action at Ypres and the Somme, before being transferred to the NZETC late July 2016. He returned to NZ with NZETC in April 1919

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

Well,     it amazing how the wheel turns full circle.

I was doing some research for my wife who is researching her Richards family tree, hence the interest.

Have you come across the above posting by forum member Lancashire Fusilier ?   he gave me details of the citation for the Johns  DSO.  Post # 159....but I  guess you will already have the details.

Thanks for the your contact details, Pam will be in touch in the near future.

Regards

Dale