Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordons Group

4thGordons

I just bought a picture of a group of Gordons that has me puzzled.

1) it appears to be post war because a number of the officers are sporting star/war/victory medals (and others I cannot ID - any suggestions on those?) Anyone ID these men?

2) what order of dress are they wearing? I though perhaps patrol blues but I am not sure and not even sure if those were worn post war?

3) any suggestions as to what the group is? (anyone recognize the building? - it appears to indicate Officers' (?) Quarters (?) over the doorway.

Three versions

post-14525-0-03404900-1414269651_thumb.j

post-14525-0-48973000-1414269659_thumb.j

TIA Chris

post-14525-0-07292600-1414269725_thumb.j

They are undress blue serge frocks, but I do not know the details or circumstances of their issue. It seems unusual that no collar badges appear to be worn. They are extremely loose fitting and in structure look almost identical to the unbleached canvas fatigue uniforms that had been issued to infantry soldiers for several decades.

The blue patrol uniform (often worn overseas at that time, except in Canada) had chest and skirt pockets with flaps.

Thanks...Is the officer in the center in patrol blues?

Any guesses on what the group is?

There appear to be several civilians in the picture -- and it looks as though the chap at the end of the "officers" might be a police-officer?

Chris

Thanks...Is the officer in the center in patrol blues?

Any guesses on what the group is?

There appear to be several civilians in the picture -- and it looks as though the chap at the end of the "officers" might be a police-officer?

Chris

Yes the officer in the centre is indeed wearing blue patrol uniform. The man at the end that you thought might be a police man is the Bandmaster of the 2nd Dragoons (Royal Scots Greys). At the opposite end is a SNCO who also appears to be from a cavalry regiment as indicated by the regimental arm badge above his chevrons. It is likely that he also is a Scots Grey.

There are also two civilians wearing their WW1 medals, with one in a quasi uniform (wearing cap and badge but white shirt and civilian jacket). I think that the photo shows recruits at the Gordon Highlanders Depot.

I'd agree with a Recruits' Cadre: looking at the blokes, quite apart from the fact they looks like so many sacks of potatoes, some are standing with arms at the side, and some in the "at ease" position, and they seem to be peering in several different directions.

Would that make the location the Regimental Depot, which was (according to the Extensive Library) Castlehill Barracks in Aberdeen?

Would that make the location the Regimental Depot, which was (according to the Extensive Library) Castlehill Barracks in Aberdeen?

Think I'd go along with Castlehill Barracks, too. Although very little of the building is showing in the photograph, the design of the doorway and relative positions of the windows in the photo below seem similar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/9773539544/

Edit: Link edited.

Edited by Standard Bearer

Thanks Steven/Standard Bearer

There is actually a bit more of the building in the original photo and I agree with you analysis based on the additional similarity -- thanks.

post-14525-0-97473300-1414333832_thumb.j

Now, as to date? All 3 campaign medals suggests no earlier than mid 1919? Does the fact that the SNCO on the end has a lanyard on his right shoulder suggest pre-1921? That would narrow the window quite a bit.

Thanks again all.

Chris

Thanks Steven/Standard Bearer

There is actually a bit more of the building in the original photo and I agree with you analysis based on the additional similarity -- thanks.

attachicon.gifmorebldg.jpg

Now, as to date? All 3 campaign medals suggests no earlier than mid 1919? Does the fact that the SNCO on the end has a lanyard on his right shoulder suggest pre-1921? That would narrow the window quite a bit.

Thanks again all.

Chris

Looking at the apparent age of the men with the medals I would date the photo as no earlier than 1922 and more likely a little later. The recruits are wearing a simple uniform that is typical for men not yet taught how to present the more demanding undress and full dress uniforms. The man in the kilt is a drum major with his parade cane (smaller version of a staff or mace). It was common for music makers such as bandmasters and band sergeants to get depot appointments towards the end of their careers and not uncommon for cross posting of men from other regiments, including cavalry.

Looking at the apparent age of the men with the medals I would date the photo as no earlier than 1922 and more likely a little later. The recruits are wearing a simple uniform that is typical for men not yet taught how to present the more demanding undress and full dress uniforms. The man in the kilt is a drum major with his parade cane (smaller version of a staff or mace). It was common for music makers such as bandmasters and band sergeants to get depot appointments towards the end of their careers and not uncommon for cross posting of men from other regiments, including cavalry.

In looking at the arm badge on the man in kilt and full dress doublet, I would be inclined to say that he is the RSM or RQMS, more likely the former. I do not see the four inverted chevrons and shoulder adornments that would be indicative of of a DM.

In looking at the arm badge on the man in kilt and full dress doublet, I would be inclined to say that he is the RSM or RQMS, more likely the former. I do not see the four inverted chevrons and shoulder adornments that would be indicative of of a DM.

Yes I think you are right, I should have spotted the absence of wings and the usually obvious 4 chevrons. What I thought was a Drummies parade cane is more likely the RSM's stick, as you say.