Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert McLean

John Milner

S4/111300, Corporal, Robert Mclean, 3 L of C Company ASC was KIA on 7 April 1917 while attached to the 11th Battalion Royal West Kents, he is buried in Dickebusch New Military Cemetery.

Does anyone have a copy of the 11th RWK War Diary for 7 April 1917, or can let me know what the battalion was doing on that day please.

Regards

John

John,

Diary for 7th April 1917

ST ELOI

Sheet 28SW O.2.

Raid by 47th Division on our left; Battalion to form Smoke Barrage. See O.O.56 attached. Smoke could not be released owing to wind being in the wrong direction. Very heavy retaliation by enemy, our casualties - 7 killed, 11 wounded, including Capt T C WRIGHT and 2nd/Lt L W HUDSON. Trenches considerably damaged. Strength of Battalion:- Officers 39, OR's 965.

O.O.56 is an Operational Order dared 5th April .

Phil

Hello Phil

Thank you very much, the friend I am helping, who lives Spain, will be very happy.

Regards

John

John,

I had a look at the 11th Battalion History, but it adds nothing really:

" It was not long before the Battalion received another heavy bombardment. On the 7th April, during its last tour in the Spoil Bank Sector, it suffered severely from enemy retaliation during another raid by the 47th Division on the left. Once again O.4.1. was badly damaged, having hardly been repaired after its former battering. This time, however, our losses were more commensurate with the damage done ......"

I'm afraid that I don't have the Brigade or Divisional level diaries for that period.

Phil

John,

Another paragraph from the history that may be of interest to your friend:

"At Spoil Bank , our effort to give those of our comrades who had been killed a decent burial in a quiet spot, met with much difficulty. At first, owing to the fact that practically all our sector was under enemy observation, we had to utilise a piece of ground behind the Bluff, in the 47th Division area. Later, it was arranged that the bodies be taken down at night by the Transport, under the charge of the C.Q.M.S.'s and buried the next day at Dickebusch, where the last offices could be performed undisturbed and with the presence of a Padre, instead of the Adjutant, or Assistant Adjutant, to read the committal service, a much more satisfactory arrangement for all concerned."

The History of the 11th (Lewisham) Battalion, The Queen's Own, Royal West Kent Regiment.

Written and compiled by Captain R. O. Russell, M.C.

Phil

Phil

Brilliant stuff, thank you.

Regards

John