Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Northamptonshire Regt. 53rd T.M.B.

Rory Reynolds

I am researching a Sgt. E. Vede who was awarded the Military Medal whilst attached from the 6th Northamptonshire Regiment to the 53rd Trench Mortar Battery.

Any assistance especially with the war disries for August 1918 would be highly appreciated. I suspect my chap gets a mention or two.

Regards

Rory

53 TMB War Diary is part of the diary for the three TMBs of 18 Division. Digital and downloadable:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352965

6 Northants were part of 54 Infantry Brigade of 18 Division,so I guess that he just moved sideways in the Division to help man 53 TMB.

Rory

The war diaries for the 53rd Brigade Trench Mortar Battery do not survive; and even if they did the general trend is that the Brigade TMB diaries only survive for the summer of 1916. If you wish to find information as to actions in the Autumn of 1918 you'd be best of looking through the 53rd Brigade Diaries for this time - they might mention lists of soldiers recommended for awards or granted awards. These can be downloaded from the National Archives reference WO95/2036.

However as the MM was gazetted in October 1919; backdated to March 1919 (according to the London Gazette) this award may be one from after the end of the war for general good work rather than a specific act of bravery.

Kind regards

Colin

No mention in the 6th Battalion War Diary - then again nobody else get mentioned either!

Steve.

Thanks Steve, Colin and Sotonmate (you're always a great help!)

I downloaded the Diary suggested by Sotonmate before reading the other comments so have that if anyone is interested. As the other say there is no reference to te 53rd TMB in August 1918.

Steve - is it possible to let me have a synopsis of what the 6th Northants were up to in the build up to August 1918 and shortly thereafter? I would need it for the biography I'm writing on Vede, that fact that he isn't mentioned is not a problem it's the context i'm after.

Vede received a (I have the original) certificate which read as follows:

"No. 43696 Sergt. E. Vede, The Northamptonshire Regiment attachd. T.M. Battery.

I have read with great pleasure the report of your Regimental Commander and Brigade Commander regarding your gallant conduct and devotion to duty in the Filed on 24 August 1918 near La Boiselle.

Signed R.P. Lee Commanding: Major General"

Regards

Rory