Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2453 Pte. G.W. Webster 5th Black Watch

Derek Black

Can anyone find anything on the following mans service?

2453 Pte. G.W. Webster of the 5th Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).

I have a newspaper clipping (with photo) about his wounding in 1915, inclding the service number given above.
According to the article he was a Dundonian wounded on the 11th of March, later being sent to Hospital In Aberdeen, his wife residing at Eliza Street, Dundee, visited him.

I have the 5th's 1914 medal roll, no one of that number, or name is on it. So he could have come out on one of the subsequent drafts, the 17th Decemeber or 9th of January. Having no joy finding someone of this name on the MIC's.

Unless the newspaper got the battalion/regiment/number wrong?....

Cheers,
Derek.

I can see a report in the Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs but I can't see any entry on the medal roll either. There's also an earlier report in the Dundee Courier.

Craig

MIC reg. no. 2453 shows a Robert McQuattie of the Black Watch - KIA 15.09.14....

Mike

There are three articles I can find (Dundee Courier and Dundee Telegraph) in April. One mentions his wounded arm and leg. Does the August article refer to a subsequent injury, or did the news travel slowly?

The address at 14 Eliza Street was a tenement building, and a surprising amount of men who came before the courts lived there.

There is a article of 22nd September 1914, entitled "Young Men Flock" which mentions "Geo. Webster. 14 Eliza Street"

Thanks for those references Craig and IPT.

Mike the number fiits but it can't be 2543 McQuattie as he was a 1st Btn man KIA in the before this 2543 proceeded to the front.

Hmm, very odd.

Derek.

This George W Webster from the 1901 Scottish Census lived near Eliza Street, Dundee:

Name: George W Webster

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: William Webster

Mother's name: Mary Webster

Where born: Dundee, Forfarshire

Registration Number: 282/3

Registration district: St Clement

Civil Parish: Dundee

County: Angus

Address: 105 Strathmartine Rd Claredon Pla

ED: 24

Household schedule number: 107

LINE: 10

Roll: CSSCT1901_98

Household Members:

Name Age

William Webster 48

Mary Webster 50

George W Webster 16

Robert C Webster 12

Madeline Webster 9

Worth checking the 1911 Census which I haven't got access to - to see if George married and lived in Eliza Street. Do you know his wife's name?

Mike

Maybe it's a transcription error, or maybe it's 2548 or something along those lines?

Possible but the same number appears in multiple papers of different dates.

Craig

Medal Rolls show (for Black Watch)

Only 2 George Webster's
S/16431

1 George C Webster
S/43172

None show as 5th Bn

Craig

I think you will find he is recorded under his 6 digit number 240617. 17 December draft.

Has a SWB under later Labour Corps and 6 digit BW number. Listed as ex 5th BW. Enlisted 21 Sep 14. Discharged 21 Mar 18 wounds.

Rgds

Tim D

I think you will find he is recorded under his 6 digit number 240617. 17 December draft.

Rgds

Tim D

Tim,

Thank you for that!

Oddly under an exact "240617" search he doesn't show up? even though it shows that number over his Labour Corps number when it's used to search...

Oh well, thanks everyone for their help :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Derek.

Not even 3 months training. Same draft as my GG Uncle.

Rgds

Tim D

Came up fine for me on both NA and Ancestry.

Rgds

Tim D

It's there Craig, but it wont show up under 240617 for me either, you need to search his labour corps number of 351970

I've no idea why ancestry wont show up the other number. I've had this problem before, where i've used the NA search to find another service number for the same man to then find on ancestry.

Derek.

I don't know what has happened to the Ancestry search engine, I agree it has issues. I usually use NA first and then use that information to search Ancestry. Find My Past is another story....when I put in a regiment it comes back with 0!

Tim

I see Craig, so that's for his V + BW?

I'd have thought his 1915 star should be under his original number though?

Derek.

Ahhh....I've just noticed Ancestry have his regiments recorded as 'R Hors' and Labour Corps.

Should have his original number recorded, but doesn't. Not common, but you see it now and again.

Rgds

Tim D

I see Craig, so that's for his V + BW?

I'd have thought his 1915 star should be under his original number though?

Derek.

Both the Start & the V+BM entries show the 351970 number

Craig