Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

old contemtibles association

Sue S

Sue

Most of these badges also had a suffix letter with the number. There are a few threads here on the subject of the OCA. The number,much like the Silver War Badge, has the number to identify the recipient,but it seems that the list of the numbers is a bit like the "Holy Grail",as one of the threads calls it.

Guest Tony Dyer

By Tony Dyer

I hacve Old Contemptibles Association Badge No 2839 which I believe belonged to a Gascoyne forebear who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery originating in Portsmouth/Gosport. At the moment I can't work out which one of 4 brothers and cousins it might have been. Once I do that I will post his name and number.

If anyone can give lead to how to get into OCA records for the Portsmouth Branch I would be most grateful.

As far as I have been able to find out, the Portsmouth branch records no longer exist. They are certainly not in the central library archives. The standard is, I believe, laid up in the Garrison Church in Old Portsmouth.

Nigel

I have a couple of magazines from this association dating from the early 1970`s bit sad as the associations were all winding up due to their dwindling numbers

There are various OCA archives in local records offices around the country. I presume that they will all have been searched for a master badge number list or even their own district badge number list. But who knows?