Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA numbering

old-ted

Hello to all.

Is it possible to identify the RFA unit in which a man served by his service number?

I'm looking for a Christopher Giles, service number 146977. From Blackburn Lancs,

The only records I have found on line are his medal index card, 1901 & 1911 census returns.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

John

For regular numbers like this one it is incredibly difficult to place him in a particular unit without surviving documentation. The only thing that can be ascertained is that he joined No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich in mid May 1916.

For regular numbers like this one it is incredibly difficult to place him in a particular unit without surviving documentation. The only thing that can be ascertained is that he joined No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich in mid May 1916.

Hi David,

I know lots of people including myself have trouble with RFA & RGA numbering, but can you tell me how you got 4th Depot?

From SWB, I found numbers on either side of him -

146776 - 422nd Battery, enlisted 26.01.16

146778 - 190th Brigade, enlisted 10.01.16

And I found 146973 joined 4th Depot on 18.05.16....

Thanks,

Mike

Ps I looked for a possible link between 422nd Battery and 190th Brigade , but can't find the 422nd...

Mike,

The SWB data gives the assumed date of enlistment but not the actual date of arrival at Depot. These can vary enormously. The numbers were issued as they were accepted at Depot level before passing on to Reserve Brigades and then active units. The 146xxx numbers are all associated with joining No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich in mid May 1916.