Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bristol Scout Type-C plane under restoration

trajan

"Brothers find remains of the plane flown by their grandfather in the First World War and spend 12 years restoring it to working order".

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2806201/Brothers-remains-plane-flown-grandfather-World-War-spend-12-years-restoring-working-order.html

They started "with just a joystick, rudder bar and magneto".

And this one, when it flies, will really be a case of 'On a wing and a prayer'! BUT, I'd love to try a flight in one of these string-jobs - if just the once... After several experiences with Brazilian helicopter pilots in the past I think I can handle just about anything aerial!

• 1 year later...

Well, I am very pleased to say that the Bristol Scout is now flying, here is a link to the video if you would like to take a peek: This is the only Bristol Scout C flying in the world, it is the only one with original parts that belonged to 1264 as flown by grandfather FDH Bremner. Go to Youtube:

If you have any problems seeing the video or have any questions about the rebuild you can go to: www.bristolscout.wordpress.com or simply ask me via the forum. Hope perhaps some of the forum members may have seen us flying at Shuttleworth

Sue, I was fortunate to see this wonderful machine at Bicester but unfortunately I attended on the Saturday, and the weather on that day was far from helpful!

I hope to see it in its natural environment sometime in the new year. Congratulations on a wonderful achievement.

We will be setting the programme for 2016 soon hoping to visit Stow Maries, Bicester, Shuttleworth, Sywell, Somme in July and if possible take it to Thasos where Grandfather flew 1264...

With luck I shall be able to attend at least one of these events and I note that Bicester have pencilled in a date for next year.

Flying the Scout on Thasos would certainly be a wonderful tribute your Grandfather. My GF also spent time on Thasos c1916/17 servicing seaplanes; I would love to visit sometime in the next couple of years.

• 8 months later...

Sue, glad to see that the flights on Thasos went OK - in spite of the weather!  Great pictures on the Website.  A wonderful achievement by all - in this country as well as in Greece.

Such a shame that the weather intervened for the planned Somme flypast - but glad that see that it was finally possible to fly over the memorials.  Huge congratulations to all involved.