Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Census Dates?

quemerford

Wasn't formed until 1912 so didn't exist in 1911

Wasn't formed until 1912 so didn't exist in 1911

eh? REALLY confused with that reply.

I was ideally looking for dates of RFC Census done in 1917 and 1918.

Ah, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the 10-yearly national census, the most recently available being 1911. Sorry. Haven't heard of the others.

Apologies all: I was referring to the 'Census' annotations often found on airmens' AIR76 records.

It's quite possible that these do refer to the 1st April 1918 transfer to RAF, but I initially discounted this since the Census references seem to differ: some say 'Census/358' while others say 'Census/86', and so on. As a result I'd assumed that these must have referred to different Census dates.

Any clarification would be very useful, since on many records, there are not specific dates recorded, but the Census numbers are recorded against the unit that an airman was assigned to at the time. Thus it would help to get a better understanding from these AIR76 cards.

Or so I hope!

I'm glad someone else is asking this type of question. It would be useful to know what all the annotations on these documents (AM F175, AM F60, etc.) were regarding.

Sam

• 3 years later...

Can I resurrect the question left hanging up above in 2014?  What exactly were these "Census' records, does anyone know?  My current interest is because "Census/647' appears in the Authority column at several points in an AIR /76 record, and it might help answer some questions to know what that Authority was.