Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest Heather & Gerry

Help with another uniform indentification, please!

Recommended Posts

Guest Heather & Gerry

Hi everyone again, This is my other granddad with his mates, can anyone help with the regiment, please. He was from Lancashire, but he did live in Yorkshire around the time of the war. Thanks in anticipation, Heather & Gerry ;);)

post-23-1099117267.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mutley

Any chance of a scan of the capbadge in the soldiers hat??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HarryBettsMCDCM

Badge looks to be Regiment Of Royal Rngineers Have you accessed Medal Index Cards For His Name?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Heather & Gerry

Hi Guys, Thank you for your responses, my grandfather is the one seated. I have looked in MIC, but there are several with my grandfathers name, William Ward, that is why I am trying to find out which regiment he was in. He was born in Darwen, Lancashire in 1887 and died there in January 1919, from the effects of being gassed in the war. He married in Yorkshire and was living there in 1909 when his son, my father, was born. I will attach an enlargement of the cap badge, sorry but it is not very clear. We have another photo of him and he seems to have a different cap badge. I do not seem to be able to insert two photos in one message, so I will follow this with another short message. Thanks again, Heather ;)

post-23-1099275636.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Heather & Gerry

Hi Guys , Here is the other photo, Thanks Heather ;)

post-23-1099276127.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steve fuller

The cap badges on the 2 piccies seem to be different??? Im not a badge expert sorry to say so cant help this time but can any Pals suggest anything??

Do you know roughly when they were taken Heather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blackblue

The second hat badge looks like the Welsh Regiment to me. I can't find a William Ward who saw active service with the Welsh Regiment and the Royal Engineers. There is no guarentee that he saw active service with both regiments and as such only one may be listed on the Medal Index Card. Do you have any other details such as correspondence or a middle name?

The nearest I can find on Commonwealth War Graves is the following who may be your man.

Name: WARD

Initials: W L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Rank: Driver

Regiment: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 459th Field Coy.

Date of Death: 10/03/1919

Service No: 478374

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: OA. "C." 12.

Cemetery: SHEFFIELD (NORTON) CEMETERY

This Medal Index Card is listed as follows:

Medal card of Ward, William L

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 2506 Driver

Royal Engineers 478374 Driver

Rgds

Tim D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ramc195

I agree that the first badge is probably the R.E.

What was his trade/job before he joined up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mutley

The second badge could be Leinster Regiment? Is there an Irish connection? I would agree that the first badge is RE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Heather & Gerry

Hi Guys, Thank you for all your interest and for the time you have spent trying to help. To answer some of your questions, my grandfather William Ward did not have a middle name, he worked in a cotton mill before the war. The one you found in the records Blackblue cannot be him, as I said in my previous posting my grandfather died in a sanatorium in Darwen, Lancashire on January 9th 1919, his death certificate lists his occupation as papermill firebeater, army pensioner, he was 32 years old. As far as I know there was no Irish connection, thanks again, Heather. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
familyhistoryman
On 04/11/2004 at 06:06, Guest Heather & Gerry said:

Hi Guys, Thank you for all your interest and for the time you have spent trying to help. To answer some of your questions, my grandfather William Ward did not have a middle name, he worked in a cotton mill before the war. The one you found in the records Blackblue cannot be him, as I said in my previous posting my grandfather died in a sanatorium in Darwen, Lancashire on January 9th 1919, his death certificate lists his occupation as papermill firebeater, army pensioner, he was 32 years old. As far as I know there was no Irish connection, thanks again, Heather. ;)

Heather & Gerry

I don’t know if you are still in the forum. If so can you let me know as your William Ward was buried in Darwen Cemetery. His death took place at Bull Hill Hospital, Darwen

Regards, Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DavidOwen
1 hour ago, familyhistoryman said:

Heather & Gerry

I don’t know if you are still in the forum. If so can you let me know as your William Ward was buried in Darwen Cemetery. His death took place at Bull Hill Hospital, Darwen

Regards, Tony

Tony

Sadly they are no longer members.

Thanks for posting, perhaps it might stimulate more interest.

Regards

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
familyhistoryman
4 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Tony

Sadly they are no longer members.

Thanks for posting, perhaps it might stimulate more interest.

Regards

David

I thought it was a long shot

Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...