Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Burials in the UK - 6 down 1 to go

temptage

I have a short list of men buried in the UK that I would like a photograph of his headstone if anyone can help.

Essex

Ilford Cemetery

Private Charles Powell - plot 2913 received thanks to Mike L (WW2Talk)

Cheshire

Stockport Borough Cemetery

Private William Greenhalgh - Plot CN. Ch. 1562 received thanks to LittleMiss

Yorkshire

Leeds (Lawns Wood) Cemetery

Lance Serjeant Laurence Armitage Hudson - Screen Wall. X. 292 received thanks to Pavster1980

Norfolk

West Tofts (St Mary) Churchyard

Private Oscar William Coleman - north-west corner received thanks to TBee

Tyne and Wear

Newbottle (St Matthew) Churchyard

Private Thomas Walton - plot 496 - received thanks to Tunsilk

Staffordshire

Wall (St John) Churchyard

Private Alfred Victor Craddock - north-west of Church porch received thanks to Graeme Clarke and Berenice

North Lincolnshire

Scunthorpe (Frances Street) Cemetery

Private Charles William Cross - Special Memorial (name might not be added yet. Only accepted by the CWGC as a casualty of War in November 2011)

not sure how easy to gain access as this is in the battle area and very limited opening

not sure how easy to gain access as this is in the battle area and very limited opening

I was completely unaware of the modern day locality of it. It could be a problem, but I have read that the MOD do allow people to visit graves at all 4 of the Churches within the battle zone. As I type this I am trying to find a contact for the local camp.

I have a very few from Ilford. Who do you need?

Please check my first post. I have now edited it to include the individual names.

Temptage

Charles Cross in Scunthorpe Cemetery was originally in the Chums and was wounded on 1st July 1916 at La Boiselle, but he had transferred to the 1st lincs with whom he was serving when he contracted the illness that killed him. The cemetery is no longer a cemetery and only contains a few token headstones in each corner of what is now a park. The 7 CWGC names are on a plaque in the centre of the park, and I do not think (but stand to be corrected) Cross has had his name added yet.

C

Chris, thanks for that. I did actually visit the 'green space' in the week before he was accepted by the CWGC, to photograph the panel with the 7 names on.

I know he wasnt serving with the 10th when he died but I am looking for all men who served with the 10th at some point. I may contact the CWGC to see what their intentions are regarding the adding of his name.

Tony

I have a short list of men buried in the UK that I would like a photograph of his headstone if anyone can help.

Shropshire

Wall (St John) Churchyard

Private Alfred Victor Craddock - north-west of Church porch

Staffordshire? I have a photo of the headstone but not a very good one. Can't remember if that's because the stone was worn or because of my photography.

Essex

Ilford Cemetery

Private Charles Powell - plot 2913

I'm afraid I haven't got Charles POWELL.

I visited the cemetery to locate the position of an unmarked grave for the IFCP and I will just check to see if the CWGC have marked the grave yet.

If so, I will visit both graves to take a photograph.

CGM

Thomas Walton

I'll do that one. Do you want the church memorial as well?

David

Staffordshire? I have a photo of the headstone but not a very good one. Can't remember if that's because the stone was worn or because of my photography.

Of course I meant Staffordshire. I was just seeing how observant people are lol. Graeme has sent me his photo, but if you still want to send yours I would appreciate it.

Berenice has reminded me, I have one from here.

Strangely, mine isnt too brilliant, either

Have sent you a copy by e-mail

Rrgards,

Graeme

Email received thank you. No photo looks very clear when looking at it in its reduced viewing size, but zoom in and it is very clear.

Essex

Ilford Cemetery

I'm afraid I haven't got Charles POWELL.

I visited the cemetery to locate the position of an unmarked grave for the IFCP and I will just check to see if the CWGC have marked the grave yet.

If so, I will visit both graves to take a photograph.

CGM

I would appreciate that, thanks

Thomas Walton

I'll do that one. Do you want the church memorial as well?

David

Thanks David. I was fearing that nobody lived up that way and that one would go un-photographed but you have proved me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lexie. Another Grimsby Chum crossed off the list.

Thanks to each of you that have supplied photos so far.

Essex

Ilford Cemetery

I'm afraid the IFCP grave in the cemetery is still unmarked.

No promises, but if no-one else manages I will see if I can get there in the next few weeks.

CGM

I can do Lawnswood. Will try and get there this weekend. I'm only 30min away

Rich

Thanks Rich, but dont go out of your way just to get the photo.

Will get them on Saturday for you, Wife making me go shopping with her, least she can do is take 30min out of her time to pay our respects.

Rich

can you just clarify what I am looking for?

Rich

Leeds (Lawns Wood) Cemetery

Lance Serjeant Laurence Armitage Hudson - Screen Wall. X. 292

Thats the CWGC details, but I have seen a photograph of him named on the family grave within the Cemetery too.(http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=106060&personid=229736&scrwidth=1200) Unfortunately I dont have a plot number for that one though. I wouldnt know who to contact in Leeds to find out where that plot is.

a friend of mine is the battle area commandant , i will see him soon and find out what the score is re west tofts he may well take me in if so i will get the pic you need , regards james