Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians W.W.1 buried in the UK

sandybee49

Hi Beth,

Sent you a link for Dover St James' Cemetery, Shorncliffe Military Cemetery and Lydden St Mary's Churchyard, will get the reminder in the local area in the next couple of weeks

Thanks so much the photos were great, hope to have them on the web in a couple of days

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Beth

Noted your request for a gravestone for Berriedale

However J Simpson is buried at Bower, Caithness - you have the wrong address. I will try and get a photo for you soon

Stuart

• Admin

Beth there is another casualty buried in Warminster in St Denys churchyard, a Pte Devenish. I could get them sometime for you

Michelle

Beth

On the site you have conflated Arnos Vale (Roman Catholic) Cemetery and the main Arnos Vale Cemetery, next door to each other in Bristol. I think I have all the headstone and screen wall photos you need for the two (and I'll send them over when I get a few minutes), but they need to be separated.

Best wishes

Charles

Beth there is another casualty buried in Warminster in St Denys churchyard, a Pte Devenish. I could get them sometime for you

Michelle

That would be wonderful Michelle

Cheers

Beth

Beth

On the site you have conflated Arnos Vale (Roman Catholic) Cemetery and the main Arnos Vale Cemetery, next door to each other in Bristol. I think I have all the headstone and screen wall photos you need for the two (and I'll send them over when I get a few minutes), but they need to be separated.

Best wishes

Charles

Hi Charles,

Any help is so very much appreciated

Cheers

Beth

Beth

Noted your request for a gravestone for Berriedale

However J Simpson is buried at Bower, Caithness - you have the wrong address. I will try and get a photo for you soon

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for this correction, have now changed website, my original information came from the Aust. War Memorial website.

A lesson learned, check information

Cheers

Beth

another

And the last

all the best Gary :thumbsup:

Hi Gary,

Photos downloaded and on website, so many thanks.

Cheers

Beth

Beth, I will see if I can get you the two from Haslar.

sandybee49

Gunner G G Lawson Bedlington St Cuthbert Northumberland.

Let me know if there is any problems with quality and I will see if I can re-photograph.

Ian

Gnr Lawson AFA

Some information on Gunner Lawson

His grave registration details reveals he died of sickness at Weymouth Military Hospital, and records he is buried in a family grave. His next of kin is recorded as Miss M.G. Lawson of YONGALA NEW SOUTH WALES (250 km North of ADELAIDE) https://www.google.c...4628ef820?hl=en

A little research:

Adelaide Chronicle

February 9th 1917
DIED OF ILLNESS
1871. Gnr. G. G. LAWSON, Yatina (Jan. 26).
Gunner Lawson was admitted to the hospital with influenza, and on his recovery he transferred from the. Light Horse to the Artillery, and left for England early in June, where he look ill and never recovered. Besides his brother, Dvr. J. G. Lawson, in France, he leaves two sisters and another brother.

February 17th 1917
Gunner George Gray Lawson, who died at the Military Hospital, Wrimouth, England, after a long illness was the second son of the late Mr. D. Lawson, of Yatina, and was 21 years and 2 months of age. He enlisted on September 28, 1915, and sailed for Egypt on January 11, 1916. On his arrival there be met his brother Gill, who is now in France.
Gunner Lawson was admitted to the hospital with influenza, and on his recovery he transferred from the Light Horse to the Artillery, and left for England early in June, where he took ill and never recovered. Besides his brother, Dvr. J. G. Lawson in France, he leaves two sisters and another brother.

Here's a folder with about 90 photos, mostly of Australian WW1 graves at St John's church in Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, that I took in 2013.

And here is the CWGC web page for Sutton Veny.

Lastly, here is an placard at St John's with some history.

Hope these are helpful.

Hi All,

I am new to this so do hope I am in the correct topic arena

I am currently building a website for World War 1 Australian servicemen/women who were laid to rest in the UK and so am wondering if there is any kind people that could help with this project, by photographing their headstones.

I hope giving the web address is acceptable, http://ww1austburialsuk.weebly.com.

There is an email address at the bottom of the web home page, if you think you could help, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

I have taken heed of some suggestions given below and so will list the cemeteries I would like photos from hoping I have grouped them in the correct Counties

The website is still a work in progress, some cemeteries not as yet listed and some have the cemetery name but no soldiers details, getting there as fast as I can

BEDFORDSHIRE - Eversholt (St John the Baptist), Kempston, Silsoe (St James) Many Thanks LST_164

BERKSHIRE - Maidenhead, Reading,

BRENT - Willesden New,

BRISTOL - Arnos Vale RC, Avon View, Greenbank

CAMBRIDGESHIRE- Huntingdon (Priory road), Peterborough Old (Broadway), Old Fletton, St. Neots, Cambridge City, Thanks joatmon

CHESHIRE - Bollington ( St John the Baptist),Chester (Overleigh),

CUMBRIA - Cockermouth, Kirkoswald old churchyard, Millom (St George), Penrith,

CORNWALL - Charlestown (Campsdown), St Minver (St MIchael), Tywaedreath (St Andrew),

CUMBERLAND - Carlisle (Dalston Rd & Upperby)

DERBYSHIRE - Derby (Nottingham Road),Hassop R C,

DEVON - Barnstaple, Combe Martin (St Peter), Exeter Higher, Lee Moor burial ground, Landkey (St Paul), Meavy (St. Peter), Plymouth (Efford), Plymouth (Ford Park)

DORSET - Bridport, Christchurch, Melcombe Regis, Dorchester ( Fordington), Stratton (St Mary), Wareham, Wool (Holy Rood) churchyard & extension,

DURHAM - Stockton-onTees (Durham Road),

EAST SUSSEX - Eastbourne (Ocklynge), Hove Old, South Malling (St Michael),

GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Lasborough (St Mary) Quedgeley (St James), Sandhurst (St Lawrence),

GREATER LONDON - Eltham (St John the Baptist), Harefield (St Mary), Highgate, Kensal Green (St Mary's RC), Manor Park, Molesey, Southall (Havelock), South Ealing, Southgate, Streatham, Streatham Park, Teddington

GREATER MANCHESTER - Moston (St Joseph), Standish (St Nicholas), Wigan,

HAMPSHIRE - Winchester, Portsdown (Christ church) Miltary, Portsmouth (Kingston), Netley Military, Haslar Royal Navy, Thanks to jgreen

HEREFORDSHIRE - Lyonshall ( St Michael & All Angels),

HERTFORDSHIRE - Hertingfordbury (St Mary), Standon (St Mary),

ISLE OF MAN - Douglas, Kirk Braddan (St Brendan) new, Kirk Marown (St Runius),

IRELAND - Boho (Boho Church of Ireland),

KENT - Canterbury, Lydden (St Mary), Dover (St James), Ramsgate, Rochester (St Margaret), Rusthall ( St Paul), Shorncliffe Military, Milton (Holy Trinity), Many thanks to Angus882

LANCASHIRE - Darwen, Garstang (St Thomas), Haggate Baptist Chapelyard, Haslingden old Cong. chapelyard,Hoghton (Holy Trinity),Lancaster, Lumb-in-Rossendale (Providence) Baptist churchyard,Stonyhurst College Burial Ground

LINCOLNSHIRE - Grantham, Lincoln (Canwick Road), Lincoln (Newport), Louth, Many thanks Tony Emptage

LONDON - North Sheen, Orpington (All Saints), Sutton, Thanks to Phil Evans

MERSEYSIDE - Birkenhead (Flaybrick Hill), Whiston (St Mary Magdalene), West Kirby (St Bridget), Hoylake (Holy Trinity)

NORFOLK - Cromer (No. 2 burial ground), Gt. Yarmouth (Caister), Norwich,

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE - Daventry (Holy Cross), Northampton (Towcester road), Thanks to Biffo

NORTHERN IRELAND - Belfast (Balmoral & Belfast City), Lurgan, Macosquin (St Mary) Church of Ireland churchyard,

NORTHUMBERLAND - Bedlington ( St Cuthbert),

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE - Mansfield (Nottingham Road), Nottingham Church Cemetery,

OXFORDSHIRE - Oxford ( Botley),

SCOTLAND - Aberdenn (Nellfield), Berriedale Parish Church, Blackfaulds Private burial ground, Dunbarton ( Dunbarton & Bonhill Parish), Dundee (Balgay), Gretna (Dumfriesshire) St Cyrus Upper Parish, Rutherglen,

SHROPSHIRE - Tilstock (Christ Church) extension, Whitchurch (St Marcella),

STAFORDSHIRE - Stafford,

SUFFOLK - Elmswell, Flixton (St Michael), Little Cornard (All Saints), Newmarket,

SURREY - Brookwood, Esher ( Christ Church), Guildford,

SOMERSET - Bath (Locksbrook) Bridgwater (Wembdon Road), Chantry (Holy Trinity),

SOUTH YORKSHIRE - Eccleshall (All Saints), Mexborough,

NORTH YORKSHIRE - Alne, (St Mary), Lythe (St Oswald), Settle (Holy Ascension)

YORKSHIRE - Bradford (Bowling), Brotton Church, Bentley-with-Arksey , Beverley (St Nicholas), Sledmere (St Mary), Spenborough (Liversedge), Thanks Peter Bennett

WEST YORKSHIRE - Birkenshaw ( St Paul), Farsley Baptist, Keighley (Morton), Linthwaite ( Christ Church) churchyard & extension, Methley (St Oswald), Wakefield, Thanks Peter Bennett

WARWICKSHIRE - Clifton-on-Dunsmore (St Mary Additional Church), Curdworth ( St Nicholas & St. Peter),

WEST MIDLANDS - Birmingham (Lodge Hill, Brandwood End, Key Hill, Lodge Hill), Castle Bromwich (St Mary & Margaret),

WOLVERHAMPTON - Bilston,

SOUTH ESSEX - West Hanningfield (SS Mary & Edward)

SUSSEX - Hastings,

TYNE & WEAR - Whitely Bay ( Hartley South),

WEST SUSSEX - Worthing (Broadwater),

WALES - Bangor (Glandadda), Blaenycoed (Cong. Chapel), Llanberis (St Peris), Llanelli District Cemetery, Minwear (St Womar), Penarth (St Augustine of Hippo), Rudry (St James), Cardiff (Cathays),

WILTSHIRE - Barford ( St Martins), Durrington, Luckington (St Mary) churchyard,Tidworth military, Sutton Veny, Warminster (St John), Salisbury (Devizes Road)

WORCESTERSHIRE - Alvechurch ( St Laurence),

Grateful thanks to ALL for the welcome I have received, suggestions given and all of the Photos, it is very much appreciated

Cheers

sandybee49

sandybee49

Gunner G G Lawson Bedlington St Cuthbert Northumberland.

Let me know if there is any problems with quality and I will see if I can re-photograph.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Photo is good thank you very much

Cheers

Beth

Beth, Have you tried http://www.findagrave.com?

Many, if not all, of the graves in St John's, Sutton Veny, are already in their database, along with photographs. One of the reasons I didn't finish photographing all of the ANZAC graves last year is because I realized that someone had done it already. Unfortunately I don't think you can search on "all Australian WW1 soldier's graves in St John's Sutton Veny" but if you find one of them by name from the ones I provided, you should be able to find the others on their website.

Just a thought.

William