Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Goodbye Dear Mother' - May 1915

Clarissabell

I have come across this beautiful letter written by a 19 year old soldier, and I thought that it may be of use to some researchers out there. The soldier's family have given me a copy to add to our school WWI Memorial website. Here is the link to the letter:

http://www.hsdwarstories.com/p/a-son-bids-his-mother-goodbye.html

Lance Serjeant Leonard Carolan was killed in action, 5th April 1917, in Belgium; he was just 21 years old. He fought at Gallipoli,with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, but survived, and then served with the Royal Irish Regiment 6th Battalion. He is buried in Belgium.

If any of you are interested in these regiments, then I think you will find the letter quite interesting.

Regards, C.

Many thanks Michelle for sharing this very touching letter.

Whilst researching Frank Helier Lawrence, a brother of T.E.Lawrence, I came across a letter which he had written to his parents prior to leaving for the front in February,1915:

Abbey Wood

Nov. 26, 1914

Dear Mother and Father,

This letter is a solemn one for me, as I do not mean for it to be delivered to you until after my death. I am writing it because it is quite likely I shall be killed very shortly. I only know of one officer who has been out at the front since August who has not been hit yet. I do not think that I shall escape being wounded at any rate, though I hope to come home again all right.

If I die, I hope I die with colours flying.

Do not grieve for me. God's purposes are too vast for us to see, but I know He is always with me, and whatever happens will be with His foreknowledge and by His orders in accordance with His plan. It will be very hard for you both, but you must think that however I die will be best for me. Also the parting will not be for long. Merely for an infinitesimal space of time out of eternity.

I can never be sufficiently grateful for having been given such parents as you, and also for all you have done for me. I am afraid I have ill repaid you on earth, and must have caused you great trouble. Arnie must now be your solace, as he will be I expect. ---------------------.

Well, I will be watching over you all, and will know what you are doing.

Goodbye, till we meet again not on this earth.

Your son still,

Frank

Sadly, Second Lieutenant Frank Helier Lawrence, 3rd att'd 1st Bn.Gloucestershire Regiment, was killed in action whilst leading his men forward preparatory to the assault at Richebourg l'Avoue on 9th May, 1915. Age 22.

I am sure that you will be aware of the Lawrence family connection with Ireland and hope that you will find this interesting.

Regards, Robert

I am sure that you will be aware of the Lawrence family connection with Ireland and hope that you will find this interesting.

Robert, I am ashamed that I knew precious little about the Lawrence connection with Ireland, but I have since put that to right. What a n amazing story and what a touching letter. What a wonderful gift for his parents to receive - it surely brought them comfort. How ironic that it was he who was trying to bring them comfort, when it was he who needed it most. I expect, writing the letter and expressing his love for them was comfort enough; he felt that his feelings for them needed to be spoken.

Thanks for sharing that with me Robert - I will use it with my pupils, if I may.

Regards, Michelle

Michelle,

You are most welcome--please use it as an example for your pupils of how a young man appears to willingly accept his fate and then feels it neccessary to apologise to his parents for doing so.

Of course his next elder brother, Will, was killed later in 1915 with the RFC and 'Ned' (T.E.Lawrence) was to die as the result of a motorcycle accident some years after the war. Thus of the five Lawrence brothers these three were lost through, and as a direct result of the ravages of WW1.

Should you have the opportunity to see a copy of 'The Home Letters of T.E.Lawrence and his Brothers' you will gain a fascinating insight into the lives of the three brothers, Ned, Will and Frank.

Regards, Robert