The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German cemetery near Gheluvelt?

LarsA

I have found a map reference to Gheluwe German Cemetery where burials of british soldiers took place in October 1914. The reference is 28.Q.4.d.d.5.

Does someoneknow where this is more exactly on a map - is it today's German Cemetery?

ATB,

Lars

On the other exhumation report it is 28.Q.5.c.25.40,name Gheluwe German Military Cemetery.

Originals from CWGC, from 1924.

Thanks!

Lars

Lars,

Jan (AOK4) is the expert, but 28.Q.5.c.25.40 looks like the pre-existing (?) cemetery on the eastern side of the village.

Phil

Edit: beaten by Ken

Many thanks to both of you!

Interesting, it is an October casualty from 1/RWF I'm looking into. I thought they were closer to Zaandvorde than this.

ATB,

Lars

Hello,

He was most probably wounded and taken POW. When he died, the Germans buried him among the German dead. The cemetery in Geluwe had quite a few British graves.

Jan

Thanks!

The man in question, 10063 Joseph Prodger of 1st RWF was reported wounded and missing oct 20th, death accepted on the 21st. But when exhumed in 1924 was found at Gheluwe German Mil Cem in a grave with 19/10 casualties. As the location of 1/RWF on the 19th was falling back from Kleythoek to Becelaere I'm wondering if he was a casualty of october 19th.

Lars

Hello,

The casualties from the fighting near Kezelberg were buried on the spot and taken to Geluwe later (around 1915-1916). Your man could have been taken to Geluwe at the same time but from another area.

Regards,

Jan