Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards 1st battalion

alibabar

Looking for any further info on a 1st battlion Coldstreamer who was captured on the 29th October 1914 & ended up in Schneidermuhl POW, i've read a few diaries & done a bit of my own reasearch & background research around the time leading upto the 29th & would be interested if anyone can fill me in or point me in the right direction to any times, dates and locations on the route taken to Schneidermul & also any references to the time spent in Schneidermuhl as POW's. Also looking any further readings on the Battalions movements from Le Havre to Mons & then from Mons to Ypres & the final battle he was in.

Listed on IRC POW records as captured at Ypres (hence going for the 29th Oct as captured date) with other coldstreamers & Scots guards numbered around him on the list & he also gets mentioned in Capt Greens diary.

Private 7631 - joined Clodstreams in 1908 & served 3 years until 1911, rejoined the Coldstream guards again in 1914 & demobbed in 1919.

Thanks in advance.

There's a thread on the forum about Schneidermuhl that may be of help to you.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173224

Member colinalsbury has done research on the camp.

So perhaps a p.m. to him would lead you in the direction you wish to go?

Cheers,
Derek.

send me your email and I will copy the war diary

There's a thread on the forum about Schneidermuhl that may be of help to you.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173224

Member colinalsbury has done research on the camp.

So perhaps a p.m. to him would lead you in the direction you wish to go?

Cheers,

Derek.

Thanks Derek, i had seen that particular topic & i would like to find out more about life inside Schneidermuhl so looks like i'll have to start translating the forum in the link as there must be stuff on there like day to day stuff & where the men were sent out on work duties etc. Was hoping the final postee would've added a bit more & maybe completed his website etc. We have a pic of him inside Schneidermuhl that was sent home to confirm his whereabouts & his ID & maybe i can find out the names of the other 2 prisoners in the pic.

send me your email and I will copy the war diary

Thanks Coldstreamer, i sent you a pm but not sure if you have received it or not as i'm not sure if i had made enough posts yet to enable me to send PM's.

seen the PM - email on the way

Are we talking about Pte Hudson ?

Yes, anything on him would be appreciated, i've been trawling other war diaries & old books etc. for events surrounding his capture & trying to track down where abouts the battalion reformed & which RFA battery they covered ? It says on the East side of Gheluvelt on the South side of theYpres-Menin Road. Maybe there's a bit more info in the RFA battery diaries if i can track down which battery it was ?