Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Henry William Wilson Davie MRCVS

Nickmetcalfe

The death and commemoration of Dr Harry Davie are unique for two reasons. Firstly, he is the only civilian veterinary surgeon commemorated by the CWGC. Secondly, he is the only CWGC commemoration in Hampton Roads, the large metropolitan area in south-east Virginia based around the sea ports of Norfolk and Newport News.

This is the first of a series of essays about those commemorated in Virginia.

http://www.nickmetcalfe.co.uk/dr-henry-william-wilson-davie-mrcvs/

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this post, fascinating. I have an interest the war memorial of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and have done some research into the men who are listed on it (and those who are not). I was aware of Davie although I could never square the reported location of his death "Drowned in a Montreal River" with his burial in Virginia, all is now clear. Civilian vets who died while working for the remount commission generally seem not to have been commemorated by the CWGC with Davie being a notable exception to this. It is interesting that he has the AVC emblem on his headstone although he does not seem to have held a commission with it.

Thanks again and all the best,

Pete

Hello Pete,

Thanks for the note. The RCVS has the article and is looking at the commemoration of Davie too. You are correct to say that he did not have a commission. I was puzzled about the reports but finding his death certificate was the key to success.

Nick