Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Brothers Meet In Hospital

P. J. Clarke

From a Ballina newspaper, dated 14th November, 1914: "There has been in an hospital in Cardiff a remarkable reunion of two brothers who had not seen one another for 16 years. The one is Martin Gaffey, of the 2nd Leinster Regiment, and the other John Gaffey, of the 1st Connaught Rangers, and their reunion is due to the fact that the curiosity of one of the nurses was aroused by the coincidence of the names. When John joined his regiment Martin was still a child. By a strange freak of accident the one is wounded in the right arm and the other in the left arm". After a small bit of research the brothers could be from Athlone, Co. Westmeath. John's number could be 9265 and Martin's, 9140. As far as I can make out both survived the war.

PJ,

9265 John Gaffey was discharged 18/12/1919 on termination of his engagement.

Have you any comment to make on your latest topic about Stephen Kennedy?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218140&hl=

Specifically -

"The CWGC, Medal Index card and his Service Papers say he died on this date, although a national historian said this was not true as the CR battn. was not in the area at the time."

Who said this was not true PJ? And what evidence does he/she have I wonder?

John

A version of the story, published in te Western Mail - Cardiff, confirms that they are the Athlone men. It goes on to say that the younger brother knew the elder brother was in the Connaught Rangers but didn't think he was at the front, whereas John was unaware that Martin had even enlisted.

9140 M Gaffey 2nd Leinster Regiment appears in an October list of wounded.

And 9265 John Gaffey appears in a casualty list, published in the Times of 4/12/14, hospitalised in the 3rd Western General Hospital, Cardiff. Reported on Nov 2.

I attended a lecture in which Kevin Myers, a well-respected historian on the First World War, told me, which I asked him about the date of Stephen Kennedy's death, he said that this was not so, as he had researched this soldier. When I pointed out all the places that Stephen was mentioned as to the date of his death; CWGC, Athis Mons graveyard, where Stephen is buried; his service Papers; Irish Memorial Records, and the local papers here in Ballina, he said the date was wrong, that it was in September. It seems everybody was out of step but Kevin, whom I admire greatly, as it was he who kept the topic of the Great War in the public domain and has been heavily castigated for it. He has his view, to which he is entitled, and the rest of us have ours. Also: once again thanks to all of you who answered the above topics.

Hi PJ,

It wouldn't surprise me if Kevin was correct.

Thanks

John