Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin or Edward DAVIES?

MotherMave

Hi, I am researching a man whose name on the Saltney Ferry, Flintshire Memorial is Edwin DAVIES, but can only find some details of an Edward DAVIES who also died, so I am wondering if they are the same man. Information I have on Edwin DAVIES, is literally his name on the memorial, Edward DAVIES, however, has an Flintshire WW1 Index Card and he is remembered on the CWGC website, also on the Saltney War Memorial, at least his namesake is.

Flintshire WW1 Index Card (Saltney Ferry, F8)

DAVIES, Edward, 2, Shepherd's Row, Stone Bridge* 6387, Shropshire K.S.L.I. Period of Service 18 years. Killed in Action 25th May 1915 Card signed by M.A. DAVIES.

* Stone Bridge was in Saltney.

CWGC Website - DAVIES, EDWARD

Service No: 6387

Date of Death: 25/05/1915

Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 47 and 49.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of the late William and Mary Ann Davies. Served in the South African Campaign.

However I cannot find anything on Ancestry re his Service Records about his South African Service there, it may give me a clue to his family who I cannot find on the censuses. Any help would be appreciated asI am researching the men from Saltney Ferry who died in the Great War. Thanking you in advance, Mavis Williams

Mavis, I found this on the 1891 census (I did not try to follow through 1901 / 1911) which confirms that the CWGC entry is correct in saying Edward for the soldier that was killed.

1891 Census
Name: Edward Davies
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William Davies
Mother's name: Mary A Davies
Where born: Saltney, Cheshire, England
Civil Parish: Chester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary without the Walls
County/Island: Cheshire

Household Members:
Name Age
William Davies 44
Mary A Davies 45
Thomas Davies 17
Sarah A Davies 15
Edward Davies 8

So either you have two different men or the War memorial is wrong.

There are a few Edwin Davies's in the area that were about the right age to serve in the war, also several E.Davies's on CWGC with no further details, so I think you have to do some more digging.

Is there a RoH listing those that served for Saltney?, as sometimes they give more information than just the names and might help with Edwin, otherwise normal resources like trawling through local newspapers.

Evan

Thank you so much Evan, I was beginning to think that I wouldn't find any clue to his family, what with a name like Davies and also Edward! The RoH for Saltney Ferry has Edwin, but Saltney has an Edward DAVIES, also a Private. I have found a couple of plaques and RoH's that have the wrong name or initial on. At least I can move forward , so thank you. Kind regards, Mavis

I have found memorials / RoHs with the wrong initial a few times (especially things like "I" (uppercase I) / "i" / "j" / "l" (lowercase L) where somebody has misread the paperwork).

I have not known "wrong" names on a memorial or RoH. But I have know several instances of where the persons "familiar" name is used, especially where they used the second given name to avoid confusion if they had the same first name as the farther, eg William Albert Smith being know as Albert when his father was also a William Smith.

What would be nice is if you could pin down the birth of Edward Davies in about 1883 and find that his full name was Edward Edwin or vice versa!, that would make it 100%.

You say "RoH for Saltney Ferry has Edwin, but Saltney has an Edward DAVIES, also a Private." are the other names largely the same,again making it look like the same man, or are they totally different which would strongly suggest 2 different men?.

Thanks again for your views, both Edwin and Edward were Davies, so it could easily be the artisan who made the mistake as you say, different accents could be the culprit! Thanks again, Regards, Mavis