The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish great grandfather......

Archer12

I'm in a bit of a bind trying to find my Irish great grandfather. His name was Michael Clancy, born 1883 in or around Tipperary.

Unfortunately he was illegitimate which is where my problems begin.

He served in the Relief of Mafeking and the First World War in which he was awarded the Mons star. Rumour has it he took the donkey and cart and enlisted in Clonmel not telling anybody where he was till he got to South Africa.

Any advice on how I could find out more would be most welcome.

Josh

Found a Michael Clancy, b1883, Irish Guards, on an Ancestry Pension Record, however i don't see that he served abroad or that he had served before.

His Mons Star, do you have it, how is it engraved.

Well if he had he 1914 star he'd have the British War Medal and the Victory Medal so looking at the MICs might be an idea - see the Long Long Trail which will tell you how. But if the date you give for birth is correct he seems a mite young to have been at the Relief of Mafeking

Do you have any further information?

Clonmel was home to the Royal Irish.

Only man named Michael Clancy who served with them in WW1 was Killed in Action on 26 April 1915 serving with 1st Royal Irish (he was born Windgap Kilkenny born in 1878). There are papers on Ancestry. On his death a Mary Power (States Quarries, Kilkenny) and Mary Conway appear to have been notified.

This man appears to have originally enlisted into the Militia in 1893, reengaging in 1899, again joining the Militia in 1904, then becoming a Special Reservist in 1908. He was a farmer in 1904 and appears to have later worked in a quarry.

There does not appear to be any men of this name that served with RIR during the Boer War, though there was a M Clancy who served with the 2nd Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Rgds

Tim D

Found a Michael Clancy, b1883, Irish Guards, on an Ancestry Pension Record.

Not this man, he never went overseas, discharged ,unlikely to become an efficient soldier.

Found a Michael Clancy, b1883, Irish Guards, on an Ancestry Pension Record, however i don't see that he served abroad or that he had served before.

I don't have his medal know I'd just been told he was awarded it

• 2 years later...

Possibly not. Part of the problem in finding anything about him is that he was illegitimate. As people have mentioned he seems too old for the First World War. He was born June 29th 1882. 

Sorry Archer, I have forgotten why I asked the question! I may have found something but obviously deleted or not saved what ever it was.

Irish births are now on line - the full details for free www.irishgenealogy.ie . 4,442 Michael births recorded in 1882, 38 in the Nenagh registration district, 27 in the Clonmel registration district. I would start with the Nenagh and Clonmel registration districts for a Tipperary birth and see if you get any hits around 29 June.

Regards

Mark

• 4 years later...

Hi my Grandfather was a Mick Clancy, served with Royal Muster Fusiliers. Born in County Clare, possibly signed up from Cork but settled in Tipperary. 

On 19/10/2014 at 20:55, Blackblue said:

Do you have any further information?

Clonmel was home to the Royal Irish.

Only man named Michael Clancy who served with them in WW1 was Killed in Action on 26 April 1915 serving with 1st Royal Irish (he was born Windgap Kilkenny born in 1878). There are papers on Ancestry. On his death a Mary Power (States Quarries, Kilkenny) and Mary Conway appear to have been notified.

This man appears to have originally enlisted into the Militia in 1893, reengaging in 1899, again joining the Militia in 1904, then becoming a Special Reservist in 1908. He was a farmer in 1904 and appears to have later worked in a quarry.

There does not appear to be any men of this name that served with RIR during the Boer War, though there was a M Clancy who served with the 2nd Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Rgds

Tim D

The m clancy is my Grandfather