Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Stuart Ramsay DSO

Bennett

I am researching the above casualty (KIA June 2, 1917) who was awarded his DSO in late August 1916 for gallantry under fire during the Loyal NL attack at Ovillers on July 10th.

I have discovered newspaper sources in NZ that state he was presented his DSO by the King and another source which indicated he received his DSO from the King at Buckingham Palace.

I have my doubts about this and know it is a bit of a long shot, but wished to know if anyone had any information or source suggestions that could reveal where a DSO recipient actually was awarded that decoration. Thanks for any guidance. Ralph

Ralph

Court Circulars would I believe tell you if the King actually conferred the honour personally. These are available within the London Times archives which have been digitised. You would however need some sort of Times subscription to access these. The good news is that you are only searching 9 months' issues, but the bad news is that the search engine is not very user friendly, or at least it wasn't last time I tried.

David

Thanks very much David and I will endeavor to pursue the Court Circular lead. You are quite right about your difficult search engines comment. We have much to learn from the Aussie and NZ technologies for research engines. They seem light years ahead in ease and access. Thanks again Ralph

I am researching the above casualty (KIA June 2, 1917) who was awarded his DSO in late August 1916 for gallantry under fire during the Loyal NL attack at Ovillers on July 10th.

I have discovered newspaper sources in NZ that state he was presented his DSO by the King and another source which indicated he received his DSO from the King at Buckingham Palace.

I have my doubts about this and know it is a bit of a long shot, but wished to know if anyone had any information or source suggestions that could reveal where a DSO recipient actually was awarded that decoration. Thanks for any guidance. Ralph

Ralph,

The official D.S.O. Register is available from the U.K. National Archives, and can be downloaded.

The volumes are broken down into various date periods, and at the front of each date period volume there is an alphabetical page index. Find the volume covering late August 1916, and look up the page for Capt. S. Ramsay, and part of the details given on the D.S.O. recipient includes when and where the D.S.O., was presented, and by whom it was presented, so it will specify if the investiture was made by King George V at Buckingham Palace etc.

I have previously downloaded part of the D.S.O. Register, unfortunately, it does not cover August 1916.

See the attached sample section of the D.S.O Register page showing the investiture details.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-90218600-1413855300_thumb.j

Ralph,

In addition to the information on the D.S.O. Register, here also are Capt. S. Ramsay's entries from both the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and the London Gazette.

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

RAMSAY, S. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 25.8.1916 ), T/Lt., N. Lan. R. His D.S.O. was awarded for gallantry on 1 - 8.7.16, at Pozieres Wood. He died of wounds 3.6.17.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 25 Aug. 1916 - War Office, 25 Aug. 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of the gallantry and devotion to duty in the field .........................

RAMSAY, Stuart, Temporary Lieut., North Lancashire Regiment, for conspicuous gallantry in action. When the enemy attacked our trenches in greatly superior numbers he repeatedly organized and led bombing attacks against them, keeping them at a distance. He frequently reconnoitred over the parapet which was swept by machine-gun fire, and gave valuable information to our artillery.

Regards,

LF

Thanks very much LF. Great sources and information. Regards Ralph

It did help LF. Got just what I needed in the DSO register Thanks again Ralph