The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Col.Lionel LEES-HEPPER RGA.

tony paley

Lt.Col. Lees-Hepper was the CO. of 84 Heavy Artillery Group/Brigade from the time it was formed at Lydd in February 1917 until the Armistice and the presence on the Rhine. Any information on this officer would be welcome. I am working on a history of the Brigade for family use. I believe he was awarded the DSO but I am not sure, unusual if he wasn't.

Thanks in anticipation Tony P

Hi

DSO book states

Hepper, L.L. (DSO L.G.1,1,18); b.4.4.71; 2nd Lt, 27.7.89; Lt, 27.7.92; Capt, 20.9.99; Major, 20.9.10; Lt Col, R.G.A.

New Years Honours List hence no citation.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for that, found little more on him. Served S.Africa, promoted Major to Lt.Col. 30.6.1916. Took command of 84 HAG.January 1917. Ass. QM.General 21.10.1919retired 22.11.1921 as Hon. Brig.General with the substansive rank of Colonel RA. Interestingly I have a hand written reference for my grandfather signed by a Lt.Col H E Marsh RGA. retired, dated January 1916. It stated he served with my grandfather 1910-1914 on Bermuda and was his CO. Something in the back of my mind says that serving officers were/are unable to provide references,

Tony P

Col. Lionel Lees Lepper, DSO, RA

From the Rossall Register 1923:

Born 4 April 71

Educated at Rossall School from 1883-1886

Served in France with 84th HAG, RGA from 17-18

OC, Hazara Mt. Bty, RGA, Waziristan and NW Frontier of India, 19-20

Thanks for that Dick all adds up.

Tony P

• 6 years later...

I came across this officer while looking for information about my great-grandfather, who was a gunner in India. According to the 1911 Census, Major Lionel Lees Hepper, was stationed at 77 Company, Royal Garrison Artillery, Kalapahar, nr Ghoom D.H Rly [Darjeeling Himalaya Railway], where I gather he was commanding officer. He was born in Aldershot, which suggests he came from a military family. I'm keen to learn more about this unit.

Edited by Cockylora123