Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

406th and 474th Agricultural Companies, Labour Corps

YorkieWar

I'm currently doing some research into an Alfred Burton as part of a local community project.

I wonder if any forum provide information about the 406th and 474th Agricultural Companies, Labour Corps. He joined 406th in September 1917 and 474th in April 1919, but I am struggling to find any more information. He came from Nottinghamshire, but is recorded as an absent voter in Yorkshire, so I am assuming that at least one of the units was based in the Ripon area?

Any help and information much appreciated.

Ref to a transfer from 406 to 474 but no location given

George enlisted on 24th February 1917. He was aged 32 years and 100 days and was working as a gardener. He was 5’5” tall and weighed 123lbs. His chest measured 34”. At the time of enlisting he was living at 8 Knowles Lane, Wyke Common, Bradford. His brother Jesse, who had emigrated to Canada and served with the Edmonton Fusiliers, had been killed on 9th July 1916.
George was appointed to the 406 Agricultural Company of the Labour Corps. His regimental number was 24124. These Companies were manned by soldiers of low medical grade (most having been downgraded after wound, sickness or injury) and employed on farms. George had suffered from a bout of pneumonia in 1916 and his medical category was assessed as CII, a category whereby the soldier could only serve at home.
Despite this, he left Folkestone on 12th March 1917 for Boulogne. On 7th November 1917 George was transferred to the hospital at Aubergne where he stayed until 14th January 1918. On 10th June 1918 George was promoted to acting Corporal. On 6th July 1918 he was granted leave and returned home where on 20th August 1918 he was promoted to Corporal. He was transferred to the 474 Agricultural Company in York before his demobilisation.

From

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.partneyvillage.co.uk%2FWW1%2520Soldiers%2FPDFs%2FCOOLING%2520G%2520Henry.pdf&ei=3dhCVJKPO-qy7Qbc4IHACg&usg=AFQjCNE5Z9cNWZpvXLI1lhZPQ4XMYk9_ig&bvm=bv.77880786,d.ZGU