Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

241932 Private William Thomas Morris

Old Yeoman

I know from his service records that my GGF served with the 2/5th Lincolns in france - can anyone advise me of where or how i find which company or companies he may of served in?.....

many thanks...Paul

Very difficult - most service records (where they remain) don't go as far as recording the company. You may have luck with the war diary as a long-shot.

Craig

thanks Craig - not much to tell from the war diary Oh well the search goes on - thanks again..

Looks like he was only with the 2/5th abroad, according to his Medal Roll.

I'm having a dig around in the Lincolns POW details I have.

Looks like he joined up July to Sept, 1916.

LMR21508_zpsa27bb225.jpg

Chaz - excuse my ignorace but what is FMP??

Bingo, he joined up at Stratford, London on the 16th September 1916, what is that document you have posted??

regards Paul.

Chaz - excuse my ignorace but what is FMP??

Bingo, he joined up at Stratford, London on the 16th September 1916, what is that document you have posted??

regards Paul.

FMP is the website FindMyPast.co.uk

The document posted is the medal roll which holds information regarding medal entitlement.

Craig

Paul

This is a page from a set of books called the Medal Roll. It is a list all of the men who received the BWM/VM. It comes in numerical order and shows the particular units a man served with abroad.

There were Rolls for all regiments and each medal earned, like the 1914 or 14/15 Star.

This page is referenced on his MIC with an F105/?/? set of digits.

B794

The date for joining comes from a site, here.

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/lincolnshire-regiment-5th-battalion.html

Handy if there is no Service Record available.

B794

thanks very much for the info and links the page from the Medal Roll is great i was not aware of this document..

i am very interested in any information about 2/5th Lincs POW's i have details about Williams capture date and where he was held, i will check them and post details here later

thanks again...Paul

Kenf48 - thanks for that link very interesting indeed, am i reading it correctly, is that referring to William when it says 'wounded'??

• Admin

My reading is 'G.G. kopf und schulter' - rifle bullet head and shoulder but still finding my way round these recently released records.

Ken

Yes, thats a cracking site. Found stacks on the POW's in my collection.......cheers! :thumbsup: Kenf48

• Admin

You're welcome!

I wonder if Paul has read Martin Middlebrook's 'The Kaiser's Battle - 21 March 1918 The First Day of the German Spring Offensive' my very old paperback devotes a couple of pages to an account of the fate of the 2/5 Lincolns, 'Three complete companies, all but forty-nine men who were killed were soon marching back to the German rear." and later a further quote from L/Cpl Wortley on his experience as a prisoner '... I met one German who was much bigger than me. He wanted my leather jerkin and he simply took it. I couldn't do anything about it. I was very cold that night.'

Ken

and the index card shows ' A Coy' i think, fantastic find! Martin Middlebrook's book is now on my shopping list - thanks again Ken for your help...

Paul...

Hi Paul,

I have a data base of 5th Lincolns which I have been compiling for some time. My information for William Thomas morris is: enlisted Stratford (aged 31) 16/9/16 lived at 75, London Road, Clapton. Embartked with the battalion 23/2/1917 (original embarkation member). captured and became a POW at Bullecourt 21/3/1918. He also had a four digit service number 5951 (the TF were re-numbered with 6 digit numbers shortly after he arrived on the western front...to avoid confusion).

The 2/5th battalion were sent to ireland in 1916 to attempt to quell the Easter uprising. they were at about half strength at the time and were nearly all North Lincolnshire recruits at the time. They arrived back in England in late 1916 and were brought up to strength with men from London and the North East.

Of the group of men that Bingo has posted from the medal roll, Walker and Morris were from Clapton. Ward (unknown) Fuller from Dalston, Chandler from Canning Town, hawkins was from Catford. The next four consecutively numbered men were also Londoners. Of these 8 men four including Walker and and hawkins were in C Company. If the group is expanded to 25, from Walker 15 are in C company.

They were recorded in the Territorial Service Gazette as casualties at Cologne farm on 11/4/1917. Walker and hawkins were KIA.

My guess is from this that your GGF was in C Company, at least when the battalion forst went overseas. Whether he remained with them when he was captured...your guess is as good as mine!

Regards,

Steve.

Very interesting Steve and yes I agree that C Coy is most likely - the only reference to A Coy is in GGFs ICRC pow records, I wonder why?. Interesting that Walker was also from Clapton, do you know his date and place of call up?

Regards Paul.

Hi Paul,

GGF may have moved between companies, or he may have been in A Company all the time, hard to tell. F.G Walker (aged 34) enlisted on the same day as GGF in Hackney. He was from Bethnal Green and his parents lived there. He was living in Dalston at the time of his enlistment but moved to Casimir Road in Clapton when he got married. Fuller and Chandler both enlisted at Stratford on the same day as GGF.

Some other 2/5th (London) men that i know were captured at Bullecourt with existing service records that may mirror your GGF's are:

241592 Pte Ernest james Foxwell, Lewisham

242065 Pte Sidney William Dando, Hackney (e. Stratford)

242075 Pte Albert Griffiths Perfitt, Leyton (e. Stratford)

242089 Pte Charles Newland, Maldon (e. Stratford)

242090 Pte Charles James Perry, Tulse Hill

242097 Pte Rueben james Godfrey, Dalston (e.Stratford)

All enlisted mid september to 4th October 16 and embarked with the battalion 23/2/17

If you need anything else let me know,

Cheers,

Steve.

Thank you Steve this is great stuff indeed - this new information adds so much to Williams story.

I am sure I will be in touch again in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Paul.