The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Units & Trousers.

trenchtrotter

I have recently aquired a nice post card of a Seaforth Highlander circa 1916 Somme. He wears a Tam with Seaforth badge and standard service dress trousers. Can I assume he was transport as no kilt?

Thanks

TT

Oh btw he wears a non cut away tunic as well.

Oh forgot to add no spurs.

TT

In my opinion No, such a conclusion would not be definite. It would be a possibility.

Several Gordons diaries indicate orders for the wear of trousers during particularly inclement weather (and then changing back into kilts later when leaving the trenches)

At some point Joe Sweeney also posted a copy of a general order to this effect I think (after the winter of 14-15).

If the picture was taken in the UK then this may be more indicative of a mounted role but again I wouldn't see it as conclusive. I have quite a lot of pictures of Gordons in trousers.

Chris

After mustard gas appeared did they not all wear trousers?

Mike

No I don't think so. Plenty of late war photos showing kilts. Happy to be corrected but I don't think so.

Chris

Sometimes the mounted role is obvious :whistle:

post-14525-0-12879600-1413660838_thumb.j

And sometimes not..... my entry for the most wrinkled soldier competition...

post-14525-0-88598500-1413661089_thumb.j

They appear to have been thinking about banning the kilt? Maybe in the front line?

Sunday Post - Sunday 16 September 1917

The Kilt and German Gas

" There is a great danger that the kilt beloved of Scotland and all who have ever worn it-the romantic petticoat that has survived so many threats of abolition-may have to yield at last to German mustard gas. The latter blisters the skin badly whenever it effects contact. Many men have had their faces badly blistered, and have even become half bald, through coming in contact with the gas before they had time to adjust their helmets. The Scottish regiments at the front are afraid, therefore, that the kilt may have to give place to the abhorred trews so far as this war is concerned. It will be a great pity if this is found necessary, for the Germans have come to entertain a very healthy respect for the " devils in petticoats " There is no suggestion, of course, of the national dress being abandoned permanently. "

Mike

Possibly... but it seems it didn't happen universally if it made it any further than newspapers -- for example this well known photo from the last 100 days

...in fact there seems to have been an official photographer with the Seaforths at Greenland Hill (Aug 1918) - while the photo above could well be staged I am not sure this or this is.

Chris

However there is also THIS from July 1916

In early December 1916, the 1/6th Black Watch " Owing to the cold and mud, the kilt was exchanged for trews " Wauchope's History

Mike

Edit This was in the Regina Trench area.

In Mesopotamia during the warm weather months, the 2nd Bn The Black Watch would wear khaki drill shorts during the day in the trenches and full khaki drill trousers at night. For attacks, they would change back to kilts and covers. Source: Wauchope, A History of The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in The Great War, 1914-1918.

Wow thanks all. Will post image but definately France / Belgium.

TT