Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching a soldier by name only?

Tyke63

Hello,

My local church is holding an exhibition/open day on Remembrance weekend, I have already done a little research in to my Grandfather's service in WW1 and whilst looking through old photos found one of his cousin Naaman Beeson in Army uniform.

I would like to be able to add some information as to his service record, even if it's only his Regiment and rank. Can anyone help?

Hello,

My local church is holding an exhibition/open day on Remembrance weekend, I have already done a little research in to my Grandfather's service in WW1 and whilst looking through old photos found one of his cousin Naaman Beeson in Army uniform.

I would like to be able to add some information as to his service record, even if it's only his Regiment and rank. Can anyone help?

What information do you know about his service (even family stories) ?

Craig

He was Pioneer #106663 Beeson, Royal Engineers.

Craig

Thanks very much Craig, that gives me a bit more information to research. I think he survived the war but was killed in an industrial accident in the 1920s, hence families being what they were back then, he was rarely mentioned.

Once again your help is much appreciated.

You probably know, but he was a foreman shunter who was run over and killed by a wagon at Manvers Main Colliery in April 1928.

Well I didn't know the details, but thank you very much! Can you tell me how you found that?

It was reported in the "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" on 24th April 1928, and again on 26th April after the inquest, which recorded a verdict of accidental death.

I found it on the British Newspaper Archive website.

It was reported in the "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" on 24th April 1928, and again on 26th April after the inquest, which recorded a verdict of accidental death.

I found it on the British Newspaper Archive website.

That's so interesting, I'll relay the information to my parents as I don't think they know any of the details, in a strange coincidence I've just bought a copy of said newspaper! Thank you.

It's an unusual name, so you should find plenty of hits simply by putting his name into Google - I did, so you'll need to sort the wheat from the chaff, but might be marriage info etc...

It's an unusual name, so you should find plenty of hits simply by putting his name into Google - I did, so you'll need to sort the wheat from the chaff, but might be marriage info etc...

Hi Kevin, I've found him on a Census. Thanks for your help.

It is an interesting first name, with only 40 on the 1911 census.

I'm guessing it's a corruption of Norman?

Naaman (נַעֲמָן "pleasantness") the Aramean was a commander of the armies of Ben-Hadad II, the king of Aram Damascus, in the time of Joram, king of Israel.

As with many Victorian children's names it seems to be a biblical reference.

• 1 year later...

Hello Tyke 63

I have just found this forum conversation tonight after googling the name Beeson as part of my Family Research. I am interested in the Name as some of my ancestors were Beesons from Lincolnshire and specifically Naaman Beeson born 1790 and died 1856 was my Great, Great, Great Grandfather. I imagine therefore that the named Naaman Beeson mentioned in this conversation would also have been a direct descendant and therefore probably related to me. I would also love to know more about this branch of the family if possible

regards

Penny Spicer

Penny. This chap has not been on line on here since May this year, on your behalf I have sent him a PM (Personal Message) which you cannot do with less than 5 posts, hopefully he will read it and get back to you. Regards Ralph.

Thank you for your message Ralph.

Hello Penny,

Beeson was my late Grandma's maiden name and as far as I'm aware her family lived in Mexborough, South Yorkshire and there are still a few in the area. I think Naaman was her cousin. I have not done any research in to the Beeson family and my Father who is 79 knows a lot more than me, there is definitely a Lincolnshire connection though. Please feel free to message me.

Kind Regards,

Ian.