Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18/315 Edward Rutherford Little, 18th DLI

jaygee303

Dear forum

I'm currently researching an Edward Rutherford Little who served as 18/315, 18th Durham Light Infantry.

A photo of him appears on page 75 of John Sheen's book, Durham Pals.

In the caption it states 'He was promoted Lance Sergeant and eventually taken prisoner in 1918'.

Can anyone suggest a reference to the primary source of this information or anything else relating to him or his capture and time as a POW?

He was awarded the MM (LG 31/1/20) for escaping or attempting to escape from captivity which is quite a scarce award in itself and unique to the battalion I believe.

I've been unable to find any papers for him on Ancestry/FMP, although I know that the photograph itself is available at Durham County Record Office.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John is often around these forums so he may be able to answer the question for you as he has acquired a lot of extra information during his research.

There's no mention of the POW status on his MIC . The medal roll shows him as Cpl (possibly also an acting Lance Sgt).

Craig

Thank you Craig and Eddie

I also had a go with the ICRC website but I find it a little difficult to navigate

They've not made it user friendly.

Craig